Navigating aro/ace visibility in LGBTQIA+ Pride events & conversations while not "out"

What do you think about aro visibility within LGBTQIA+ events and conversations ? I see a lot of "love is love" themes supporting not-straight sexual and romantic orientations which I am so behind! Do you think we need to expand the popular view of what love is and can be? I don't want to take away from the work towards acceptance that is still very necessary for queer and trans allos by making it not about love. Do you find that the focus on romantic and sexual love (of all not-straight orientations) makes visibility efforts trickier for aros/aces? I also have a lot of other privileged identities, and I don't want to be taking up space online or in person that is more important for more marginalized folks to have.

Also, I'm not "out" to many people, and I don't feel like I can help boost visibility of aces/aros without coming out. Thoughts? 

I guess you could say we experience love through a different lens and feeling uncomfortable with society's norms definitely garners sympathy from other LG... people who also act outside those boundaries. Plus love is love and any type of love goes (within consensual agreements)

I feel like aro and ace should be part of the overall discussion about gender and relationships but not necessarily a part of the LBTQ movement. They relate to one another but in some ways the struggles and goals are very different. I feel like it's more like the relation of LBTQ with feminism or anti racism. We can all support each other and try to spread acceptance and hopefully every increase in acceptance is a benefit to every movement. Now I don't know exactly where aroace fits into all this. For all the different movements going on there's not a lot that questions the role of marriage and the nuclear family.

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2017 at 4:33 AM, Holmbo said:

Now I don't know exactly where aroace fits into all this. For all the different movements going on there's not a lot that questions the role of marriage and the nuclear family.

Yeah, it seems like the crux of the whole LGBT... movement is to bring awareness to the spectrums of sexuality and gender. However, there is no emphasis on understanding the romantic spectrum. Not that they are against it, I just think we are such a small minority that it was not something that the community was aware of, regardless of whether it's relevant or not to the movement. 

Archived