something about the Terms of Service

One-Eyed Jack

I read nearly the whole ToS before I saw something that I don't understand:

The returning member will be permanently banned under the following circumstances:

• If a nudge is received at anytime in the first six months
  • If a warn is received in the first 3 months
  • If two warns are accrued in the following 3 months, as, after the first 3 months, one warn expires and one is still active
  • If 3 active warns are accrued after the probation period has ended
  • If the returning member socks, trolls, flames, or similar, at any time
  • In addition to this, a formerly banned member is ineligible to run in any Arocalypse elections. 

This makes it sound like a permaban results if there is a warn in the first three months, but if there is a nudge in the first six months. Why is the length of time for a nudge greater than that for a  warn? Just curious.

•  

Oh, I knew that. I was just wondering why the less serious offence applies for a longer probationary period. But it's not a big deal, just curious.

BTW why do you have the same username as the name of the forum?

From what I can tell, it is one controversial part of the tos that used to be the same way on aven (they have nearly identical tos)

which was eventually changed to:

While on probation, the returning member will be permanently banned under the following circumstances:
- If a nudge is received
- If a warn is received
- If the returning member socks, trolls, flames, or similar, at any time

As to why it's different here, I'm not sure but you're definitely not the first to bring that part up. (well on this site maybe you are :P )

I think one reason it may not have been changed is because everyone here is pretty nice and there isn't much rule breaking and it's kind of a small community too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @One-Eyed Jack! When I started Arocalypse, I copied the ToS from AVEN (with their permission) and modified it appropriately. I probably missed this section when I did so. As far as I know, there is no way to "nudge" a person. :) We use the warning system exclusively. If you have any further questions, please let me know. (And sorry it took me so long to notice this post)

Also, if I go to update the ToS, every registered member on the site will get an email and have to accept it again. I'd rather avoid that unless we need to make a super important change.

46 minutes ago, Untamed Heart said:

What does 'socks' mean?

Sock account is when you make a second account pretending to be someone else. Most of the time this is so said person can get around a ban.

As for why the internet calls it sock accounts....

(shrug) got me

Archived