List of Aro meetups?

Don't know of any specifically aro groups. Sometimes social events can be A-spec generally a bit like LGBTQIA groups are across the board and not just for one area like gay men, though there can be a need for specific groups though. Unfortunally you have to start broad and then if there's enough in one area perhaps then a specific aro meet and build it up from there. It's difficult though.

23 hours ago, DogObsessedLianne said:

Don't know of any specifically aro groups. Sometimes social events can be A-spec generally a bit like LGBTQIA groups are across the board and not just for one area like gay men, though there can be a need for specific groups though.

Ironically groups for gay men are fairly common.
The issue I have with many "A-spec" groups is they are, defacto, ace groups. All of them appear to have started off as ace groups which have attempted to diversity. These are the same kind of issues which would arise with a gay or gay & lesbian group trying to become and LGBT+  group involved.

23 hours ago, DogObsessedLianne said:

Unfortunally you have to start broad and then if there's enough in one area perhaps then a specific aro meet and build it up from there.

This isn't how things happened with ace meetups.
AFAIK these happened from having a good and extensive  online community. This is something which is, IMHO, very much lacking for aros.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:54 AM, Mark said:

Ironically groups for gay men are fairly common.
The issue I have with many "A-spec" groups is they are, defacto, ace groups. All of them appear to have started off as ace groups which have attempted to diversity. These are the same kind of issues which would arise with a gay or gay & lesbian group trying to become and LGBT+  group involved.

This isn't how things happened with ace meetups.
AFAIK these happened from having a good and extensive  online community. This is something which is, IMHO, very much lacking for aros.

I understand that there's so many sides to the issue and there's no clear answer to it. It would be great if there was so many of us to have our own groups all over the place, and definitely we need more aromantic awareness though that's another issue. Actually we need more awareness in the difference between romantic attraction and sexual attraction, and it will slowly seep through society as technically speaking you can have any combination of the two (and it's my personal belief that it's more common than we think esp with monoromantic bisexuals or biromantic monosexuals for crude example), so perhaps we should be doing more to highlight mismatched attractions of all types rather than aromantism on it's own (as indeed every conversation I have when I mention my aromantism leads to just that topic). Sometimes this is very much from an alloromantic asexual perspective and that does need to change. It is always difficult to know what's best to do at local offline level as there's so many aspects that need to be addressed. My experience running an a-spec group is that there's so much variation in personal experiences that people are often confused by exactly what they experience. It's unfortunate that many come across asexuality first before even hearing about aromantism (again not saying it shouldn't change), but that is also across the board as my friend will describe something as homosexuality when in reality she is talking about homoromantism. I originally thought I was bi/panromantic asexual mainly because I'm highly sensitive to aesthetic beauties that I was pinpointing down wrongly as romantic attraction (I originally before knowing about asexuality thought any aesthetic attraction was sexual attraction and how wrong was I), and most of my problems during previous sexual encounters was really down to the romantic kissy nature mixed up with the "loving sexual embrace" described as sexual attraction by nearly everyone, so I misidentified this as asexuality (but with a lot of questions that led me to getting my ear bitten off multiple occasions on Aven). I just give this overview of my experience because it shows how some people know there's an A in there somewhere but can be a little confusing about what exactly they experience. And in that situation an aromantic allosexual could help a person with a similar confusion. So unfortunately it is complicated. And really, surely it is good for any group to improve it's stance. You could argue with your arguments that we need specifically bisexual groups (and then you have the issue of aromantic bisexuals or biromantic asexuals, or even another mismatched orientation), and the answer is most probably yes there is a need but it is all highly complicated and difficult.