Binding

Shroomie

Hey, so, a few weeks ago, I found a sports bra that actually binds pretty well. I can't get an actual binder, because I don't really have a way to get one without coming out, but this works pretty well. I finally wore it out of the house(and my room) for the first time tonight. I've been way too nervous before(not that I wasn't still nervous), as well as struggling with accepting that this is really what I want. It definitely still feels wrong in some ways, but it also definitely feels right. A flatter chest is a lot more comfortable for me in a lot of ways, I'm just having trouble accepting/believing myself.

I know there's a fair amount of other trans/non-binary people here, so I made this thread to talk about experiences with or feelings about binding. Feel free to share as much or as little as you're comfortable with.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just over 3 weeks post-op from my top surgery, so while I'm wearing compression right now, I'm technically done with binding forever. :) 

I was thankfully didn't have too big of moobs, (small enough that I got periareolar top surgery,) so I got away with more minor forms of compression. I used sports bras for a while, but eventually moved to gynecomastia shirts, and that combined with loose button-ups was enough to hide my chest and keep the dysphoria from disrupting my daily life. I own a genuine binder that got me super flat, but because of how busy I kept myself with my music, I couldn't manage the "don't bind for more than 8 hours" rule, so I never really used it. Even despite my chest not being as big as it could have been, my chest was my biggest source of dysphoria. Compression made me dysphoric sometimes too though, so binding was not always ideal, especially when you combine the warm climate with the extra sweat from taking testosterone.

I'm currently wearing an ace bandage under doctor's orders until I'm one month post-op. I think it's supposed to help with the swelling and ensuring that the nipples heal properly, which I think it worth tolerating compression a little longer. I only have just over a week of this compression left anyways :) 

I'm hoping to get top surgery this winter (fingers crossed). I've got a sort of large chest, so I can never really get it completely flat, though I can get it flat enough that people don't read me as female. Mine is from T-Kingdom; I saved to buy a $50 VISA giftcard and bought it with that, since I don't have a credit card and the VISA cards can be bought with cash. It's fastened by Velcro, and while I don't have any trouble breathing or anything in it, I do get pretty sore and bruised on the side where it fastens. I think its worth it, though; I feel a lot more confident and comfortable with myself while binding.

On June 7, 2017 at 2:39 AM, Confidential_Con said:

I'm hoping to get top surgery this winter (fingers crossed). I've got a sort of large chest, so I can never really get it completely flat, though I can get it flat enough that people don't read me as female. Mine is from T-Kingdom; I saved to buy a $50 VISA giftcard and bought it with that, since I don't have a credit card and the VISA cards can be bought with cash. It's fastened by Velcro, and while I don't have any trouble breathing or anything in it, I do get pretty sore and bruised on the side where it fastens. I think its worth it, though; I feel a lot more confident and comfortable with myself while binding.

I hope it all works out! It's also possible that having a Velcro binder could save you the cost of buying a medical compression vest if your surgeon recommends those kinds of things, so definitely bring that binder to your pre-op appointment! 

Best of luck, and I wish you a speedy recovery :) 

• 5 months later...

@shotinthehand, gonna be honest, your post sounds like something that should be a thread in its own right, not a copy/pasted comment on 15+ threads that are only tangentially related to your project. As someone doing a visibility project of sorts myself (specifically giving transgender musicians a voice using ethnomusicological approaches), I see the good in what you're aiming to do, and I want to see you find the participants you're looking for. I just think you risk putting a bad taste in people's mouths with this approach because it makes your message look like spam.

I'm honestly not 100% certain about what demographics you're looking for, particularly when you say transgender. I originally took your call as basically "everyone who isn't a cis man or straight woman," but your sample questions and research prompt sound like you're looking for more feminine-aligned people. Honestly, included binding topics in your sample questions would have made your post more relevant to the thread you posted in, and could better clarify why you're advertising your research within this thread in particular.

I know how tone can be easily misconstrued online, so please do not take my words as an act of aggression. I find your work commendable and would really like to see your project succeed. There's just better ways to show good will when you make a call for participants, and I don't want your project to suffer for it. Regardless,  I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!

On 11/26/2017 at 12:50 AM, Mezzo Forte said:

@shotinthehand, gonna be honest, your post sounds like something that should be a thread in its own right, not a copy/pasted comment on 15+ threads that are only tangentially related to your project. As someone doing a visibility project of sorts myself (specifically giving transgender musicians a voice using ethnomusicological approaches), I see the good in what you're aiming to do, and I want to see you find the participants you're looking for. I just think you risk putting a bad taste in people's mouths with this approach because it makes your message look like spam.

I'm honestly not 100% certain about what demographics you're looking for, particularly when you say transgender. I originally took your call as basically "everyone who isn't a cis man or straight woman," but your sample questions and research prompt sound like you're looking for more feminine-aligned people. Honestly, included binding topics in your sample questions would have made your post more relevant to the thread you posted in, and could better clarify why you're advertising your research within this thread in particular.

I know how tone can be easily misconstrued online, so please do not take my words as an act of aggression. I find your work commendable and would really like to see your project succeed. There's just better ways to show good will when you make a call for participants, and I don't want your project to suffer for it. Regardless,  I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!

Thanks. I wanted to ask non-feline aligned people as well because they have to deal with people assuming they are female and might have things to say about that, or about avoiding presenting female to try to get people to not assume, and stuff like that, but I get what you're saying and will delete my posts if I can figure out how to do that.

Archived