I feel left behind sometimes

Darkraven77

Oof, I feel ya. My best friend has a partner now, and even though he still makes an effort to hang out with me I still feel like things have changed. I guess it's because his friendship is so important to me, but to allos romance is usually the "higher tier" in relationships. I know he still cares about me, and I'm super happy for him because his mental health has improved so much since getting a partner, but I also get the occasional thought like "wasn't enough to make you feel better? You had to get a partner to not be depressed anymore?" It sounds selfish, so I try not to think like that, but it's still a lingering feeling.

Sorry for the rant, I just relate to this a lot. I also don't really understand romance.

Edited by MondoBilby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MondoBilby said:

Oof, I feel ya. My best friend has a partner now, and even though he still makes an effort to hang out with me I still feel like things have changed. I guess it's because his friendship is so important to me, but to allos romance is usually the "higher tier" in relationships. I know he still cares about me, and I'm super happy for him because his mental health has improved so much since getting a partner, but I also get the occasional thought like "wasn't enough to make you feel better? You had to get a partner to not be depressed anymore?" It sounds selfish, so I try not to think like that, but it's still a lingering feeling.

Sorry for the rant, I just relate to this a lot. I also don't really understand romance.

Yeah, it's been repeating in my head since yesterday. Atleast I'm not alone. I hate heteronormativity.

• Like 1

Story of my life, being left behind. I think that others think others, like themselves, will find their dedicated partners and all and even be happy, not least if they think it'll be as easy as it was for them. Yet for many of us aromantics and even demiromantics, this is much less the case as so many of our what-were-for-life-friends become almost unavailable as they sail off with their spouses. Or is the pluralistic spice? I dunno...the alc is messing with my cognition. I hope that makes sense.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Darkraven77 said:

Omg they do?

two of my friends were talking about what they wanted their dress to look like and other details. I was confused. i didn't think ppl actually did that. same with high schoolers having sex. I continue to be shocked that, that is something ppl do. like don't y'all have homework or something?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SkyTuneRein said:

Story of my life, being left behind. I think that others think others, like themselves, will find their dedicated partners and all and even be happy, not least if they think it'll be as easy as it was for them. Yet for many of us aromantics and even demiromantics, this is much less the case as so many of our what-were-for-life-friends become almost unavailable as they sail off with their spouses. Or is the pluralistic spice? I dunno...the alc is messing with my cognition. I hope that makes sense.

Ah good old heteronormativity. I don't get why having a partner is so important to them?

• Like 1

Ugh I feel this so much. It seems like everybody considers romance to be the best thing ever to exist and I just can’t relate.

I will say though, I had a plan for my wedding since I was like 7, but I realized later that I just wanted to plan a big party for myself. I honestly don’t think I even considered what the groom would wear!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 1:22 PM, AroAcedragon13 said:

two of my friends were talking about what they wanted their dress to look like and other details. I was confused. i didn't think ppl actually did that. same with high schoolers having sex. I continue to be shocked that, that is something ppl do. like don't y'all have homework or something?

Haha, that's exactly what one of my friends did! He got a gf for the first time, not even a week went by and they were already planning their engagement and what they'd do for a honeymoon and such. Very long story short, they're not together anymore lol. Only lasted about 8 months.

45 minutes ago, MondoBilby said:

Haha, that's exactly what one of my friends did! He got a gf for the first time, not even a week went by and they were already planning their engagement and what they'd do for a honeymoon and such. Very long story short, they're not together anymore lol. Only lasted about 8 months.

Wow well that's something!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MondoBilby said:

8 months is crazy! relationships here only last like a few weeks to days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AroAcedragon13 said:

8 months is crazy! relationships here only last like a few weeks to days. 

It's mostly just because they were treating their relationship like they'd been together for years right as it started that made it feel so short-lasting. Seriously, the amount of drama that happened was bloody tiring. I won't get into it though to respect my friend, and also because I just don't really care lol. It was crazy though, I'll say that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MondoBilby said:

It's mostly just because they were treating their relationship like they'd been together for years right as it started that made it feel so short-lasting. Seriously, the amount of drama that happened was bloody tiring. I won't get into it though to respect my friend, and also because I just don't really care lol. It was crazy though, I'll say that.

there's always so much drama! one kid here has to have dated almost every boy in the grade and some in lower grades. i think the longest relationship i know of was like a year or so.

• Like 1

I feel you. Most of my friends aro allo, so they tend to talk about romance a lot. I know I can't and I don't want to forbid them from doing it, because I understand that it is important, however I can't help but get a little sad that I can't really relate to them.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 9:23 PM, MondoBilby said:

Lol, so me XD

Oh and I forgot to mention my relative thinks that my other cousin is going to get married after she graduates college.