Voidpunk

alto

Hey.  I'm aro ace, and am very intrigued by the notion of voidpunk.  However, I don't feel "dehumanized enough" to be voidpunk.  I do ID as a cat therian, which I suppose is a form of voidpunk.  However...could I still be voidpunk?  Am I voidpunk already?

14 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Sure. Speaking as the originator of voidpunk, people seem to have kind of forgotten what it is tbh...

Would you mind talking about what it is to you a little bit more? Or linking to somewhere where you've done so in the past? o3o

1 hour ago, hemogoblin said:

Would you mind talking about what it is to you a little bit more? Or linking to somewhere where you've done so in the past? o3o

Most of the original posts on the subject should still be on my blog: https://arotaro.tumblr.com/

In short, voidpunk is an aesthetic. It's not a kin type, it's not a gender or sexuality or anything like that- Certainly, one can incorporate it into their identity or vice versa, but ultimately that is not what it was intended to be. It's a way for people who face dehumanization (on a social/cultural level, as in being dehumanized by others) to speak out about it while having fun. It's not about "I feel that I'm xyz thing rather than a human", it's about "Oh, you think I'm not human because xyz? Fine, maybe I'm not. What will you do now?". It's about punk rock with cat ears and demon horns, you get what I mean?

I don't say any of this to disrespect therians or otherkin or anything else along those lines. Certainly, there's a lot of those in the voidpunk community, and I support them very much! It's just that... I mean, those are things that already exist. People keep trying to make voidpunk into essentially just otherkin with a lot of nebulous talking about "the void" (I don't even know what that means tbh! The 'void' in voidpunk was chosen because it sounds cool), when that's not what it's supposed to be. Of course the politics and the support for people who face dehumanization are a key part of voidpunk, but as an identity it's never been super serious and should not be treated as such. It's literally just about cheering yourself up by wearing cute ghost earrings, or whatever.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

People keep trying to make voidpunk into essentially just otherkin with a lot of nebulous talking about "the void" (I don't even know what that means tbh! The 'void' in voidpunk was chosen because it sounds cool), when that's not what it's supposed to be.

"Void" is a strong, mysterious word with threatening connotations. I guess that's why it sounds cool. But it was kind of predictable that "void" invites people to attach lots of unintended meanings to voidpunk.

"The void" is also an important Buddhist concept, sunyata.