Using aromantic as an umbrella term

Moth Lady

I am definitely aromantic, because I barely ever feel romantic attraction, but I have felt it before. Thing is, I know I could identify with greyromantic or another label on that spectrum, but I kind of don't feel like it. I usually just say I'm aro, and say I experience very little romantic attraction when asked further.

Does anyone else use aro like this?

• Like 1

Yeah some people use terms like being on the aro-spec in general, and when asked about it in more detail, say they are grey-aro. So it's definitely possible for sure.

• Like 2

I do that. Currently I don't really know what my romantic orientation is, but it is definitely somewhere on the aromantic spectrum, and it feels close enough to just aromantic that when I'm talking the people outside the aro community I tend to just call myself "aromantic" and say I don't experience romantic attraction, because it seems functionally true

Edited by AstrophelDragon
typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AstrophelDragon said:

I do that. Currently I don't really know what my romantic orientation is, but it is definitely somewhere on the aromantic spectrum, and it feels close enough to just aromantic that when I'm talking the people outside the aro community I tend to just call myself "aromantic" and say I don't experience romantic attraction, because it seems functionally true

Yeah I feel like it can be a way to simplify the discussion and make things more efficient for people who don't want to talk at detail about everything every single time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MulticulturalFarmer said:

Yeah I feel like it can be a way to simplify the discussion and make things more efficient for people who don't want to talk at detail about everything every single time.

However much I have a tendency to really want people to understand everything perfectly and as a result over-explain everything, I've learned that it's hard enough for people to just understand aro. Putting some other random label out there isn't going to help.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AstrophelDragon said:

I mean I might be aro-spec but most orientations seem to have a partial understanding of things. The aesthetic of a relationship sounds nice but I’d never seek that out or have any interest in someone if they showed interest. I mean I’ve never felt romantic attraction but I think that o might be aro-spec or something, only time will tell.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HelloThere said:

I mean I might be aro-spec but most orientations seem to have a partial understanding of things. The aesthetic of a relationship sounds nice but I’d never seek that out or have any interest in someone if they showed interest. I mean I’ve never felt romantic attraction but I think that o might be aro-spec or something, only time will tell.

I see what you mean, used to seek those out only because the type of commitment I want isn't typically considered a "friendship zone" type of deal. When I give folks my speciifications, they are like yeah, you gotta be in a relationship to have that type of frequent contact, checking in frequently, etc. 

5 hours ago, AstrophelDragon said:

However much I have a tendency to really want people to understand everything perfectly and as a result over-explain everything, I've learned that it's hard enough for people to just understand aro. Putting some other random label out there isn't going to help.

I used to be like that but then I realized I also want to keep my stress level down, and evaluated if people were actually listening to what I'm saying or if it's a "in one ear and out the other type of deal." Definitely different for everyone, no doubt.

Edited by MulticulturalFarmer
added some words
  • Like 1

I think it's a good idea to use aromantic as an umbrella term. Many people don't know about the term so by using it you're increasing visibility over all and also letting people know its full definition.

• Like 5

On 22/6/2023 at 12:22, Moth Lady said:

Definitivamente soy aromática, porque casi nunca siento atracción romántica, pero la he sentido antes. La cosa es que sé que podría identificarme con greyromantic u otra etiqueta en ese espectro, pero no tengo ganas. Por lo general, solo digo que soy aro, y digo que experimento muy poca atracción romántica cuando me preguntan más.

¿Alguien más usa aro así?

sip se me hizo mucho mas facil explicarle asi a mis amigos cuandos les dije que son arro

• Like 1