I'm about to go to the schools GSA (Gay-Straight-Alliance)

So like a week ago I signed up for the school's GSA and I'm really excited when I can go to the club. Oh, the pin will arrive in the mail right after The club. I'm really happy about this week, and summer is right around the corner too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cerimonials said:

About a month ago I was hoping to join the one at my school too (called 'Rainbow Club') but since it's fairly close until the end of the year I just decided to wait until September :)

yeah same

3 hours ago, LIVI0 said:

weird name for a club tbh

Gay-Straight Alliance is a name that's been used by LGBTQ+ activism and social clubs in schools since the 80s. Some schools call it something else (Genders & Sexualities Alliance is pretty common these days), but there's historical precedent for Gay-Straight Alliance because it emphasizes the goal of supporting one another, especially in the days of things like no legalized gay marriage and the AIDS crisis.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Gay-Straight Alliance is a name that's been used by LGBTQ+ activism and social clubs in schools since the 80s. Some schools call it something else (Genders & Sexualities Alliance is pretty common these days), but there's historical precedent for Gay-Straight Alliance because it emphasizes the goal of supporting one another, especially in the days of things like no legalized gay marriage and the AIDS crisis.

I would love to just go to one and see the people I could meet, perhaps it could help me in some way? I'm not sure, but I'm gonna need to really know what the heck it is first from the school.

• Like 1

There's just a lot of energy in the room, and most of the activities that get planned usually end up getting derailed for something else random. For instance, we were going to play Life, the board game. However, we never got past set-up because of the pink/blue gendered playing pieces, and the meeting was actually spent creating our own playing pieces out of cardstock.

It probably differs a lot by school. I know for a fact that my middle school's GSA was more structured than ours :P

9 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

ik but i just found the name silly. it was simply a joke

19 minutes ago, LIVI0 said:

ik but i just found the name silly. it was simply a joke

Oh ok, sorry about that. It's hard to tell tone online sometimes and I know a lot of kids aren't aware of the history of these things, so I took it the wrong way, lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Oh ok, sorry about that. It's hard to tell tone online sometimes and I know a lot of kids aren't aware of the history of these things, so I took it the wrong way, lol.

Yeah, it’s weird how hard it is to tone things right online, sometimes something meant to console people can end up angering them.