Allo aro erasure in aspec

nonmerci

Lately I've been reading a few articles about allo aro erasure in aro spaces (in particular, the articles linked by Storm_leopardcat). Naturally, it makes me question how the allo aro feel on arocalypse. Do you think that aroaces overshadow yout voices here ? What can we do to reassure alloaros that they are part of the community and can open thread that specifically adress their unique issues ? What are the things we should avoid, as aroaces, to prevent the erasure ? 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, nonmerci said:

Lately I've been reading a few articles about allo aro erasure in aro spaces (in particular, the articles linked by Storm_leopardcat). Naturally, it makes me question how the allo aro feel on arocalypse. Do you think that aroaces overshadow yout voices here ? What can we do to reassure alloaros that they are part of the community and can open thread that specifically adress their unique issues ? What are the things we should avoid, as aroaces, to prevent the erasure ? 

Oh god, where do I start with this? Well I dont think that being aro should automatically be associated with being ace, granted I'm a sexually fluid person, leaning towards allosexual, but also aro. 

I dont think that being allo means that you are just gonna want one night stands and FWBs, ever, or for the rest of your life. I think that's kinda a misconception that goes around. Or that we are too touchy feely or something and dont care about building the emotional connection first.

These are the first that come to mind, I'm not sure what the rest of the stereotypes are but thought I'd share.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I can't think of anything major, but maybe just correcting anyone who assumes that "aspec" means asexuality and asexuality alone, and not making jokes about your lack of sexual attraction in aro spaces. And not doing the whole "ewwwww sex? Anyone who likes that must be really gross" thing that's pretty common in general aspec areas (although I haven't seen any of that here on Arocalypse luckily, so thanks! Keep doing good 👍)

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2023 at 9:46 PM, Guest .... said:

I thought that aspec is for aros and aces

I'm pretty sure that acespec is the one specifically for aces. 

It is, but unfortunately because of aro erasure, a lot of people think it's a synonym for acespec, and tend to use it as a synonym for acespec (so, things like saying "for International Asexuality Day, I'm making an aspec informational post about all kinds of asexual minorities" or putting asexual-specific jokes into the aspec tag or whatever)

Edited by AromanticAardvark
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2023 at 2:46 AM, Guest .... said:

I thought that aspec is for aros and aces

I'm pretty sure that acespec is the one specifically for aces. 

It is meant to be like that. Aspec can also include other identities like agender and aplatonicn But I've seen places where people, usually aces, use aspec and acespec as synonymous. It can be because it pronounces the same way so they forgot they are not the same. But too often, it is because they forget that the ace community don't encompass everything that starts with an A : though they don't say it explicitly, I've seen people talk as if aro were not its own community but just a subcommunity in the ace one.