Things I would like to say about this forum/website

How do you upload a profile photo here? I’ve attempted to upload different images, but they are still too large! 

Why is there a limit to the number of images and links one can link to when using a single profile? 

This forum is pretty cool; I’ve heard people talk about how there were Internet forums in the early days of the Internet (or before it, in fact). I can definitely see the appeal of it, so I’m surprised they went out of style. They seem much more convenient than apps like Reddit or Discord (thought each have their own advantages). 

Not to bring problems here, but is there some drama with AVEN and this forum? Or some internal drama going on in AVEN and among its members? 

I’ll be honest, this forum is somehow better than AVEN, it is refreshing, I do not know why. Perhaps it’s due to the fewer number of members? Or maybe it’s finally a place focusing on Aromanticism instead of Asexuality only? I see quite a lot of mention of asexuality and asexual people, but less talk about Aromanticism or aromantic people. One of the reasons I ended up and made an account (was also bored). 

I prefer using this website on the desktop. It’s layout is nicer, and you can see descriptions of profile below the person’s username and profile photo. And there is also that little text that appears beneath some people’s messages in posts. How do you write those? For example, under @roboticanary‘s message on a post there are text written there. And for @2 Spirit Cherokee Princess‘s  as well (please tell me if I got anything wrong). What do you call that text? 

That’s all I have to say for now!

Edited by Storm_leopardcat
Tagging the people mentioned here.
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

How do you upload a profile photo here? I’ve attempted to upload different images, but they are still too large! 

yeah, there is a size limit on photos as well as a limit on the most you can upload in total. to be honest i could probably be a bit more lenient on that since we are still nowhere near the limit of memory use on our hosting. as for how, reduce the image size, the picture you use for your profile is tiny and the limit is ~half a mb. to give context my pic is <17kb. I cant tell you what exactly will work on the image editors that you use but resizing to drop pixel count and convert to jpg and you should be well below the limit. If you click the option to add a pfp it will tell you the size limit you need to get below next to the line saying what file types are accepted.

34 minutes ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

Why is there a limit to the number of images and links one can link to when using a single profile? 

the site has to pay a hosting service to host the site, there is a total limit of how much stuff (pictures, files, etc) which can be stored. if arocalypse ever bumped up against that limit then it would have to move to a pricier hosting plan (true pretty much wherever you decide to host). In general if you want low cost hosting the cutoff is usually in the low hundreds of gb total. if we got near that we would either have to take a big hike in fees (not sustainable) or mass delete old image content to bring us back down. 

as for links, i was unaware of that, could you explain what you mean by a limit of links and where this limit is occuring.

29 minutes ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

And there is also that little text that appears beneath some people’s messages in posts. How do you write those?

the text is called a signature, you can edit yours by clicking your profile in the top right, clicking account settings and clicking signature on the left menu. I'll add that to the site guide actually, i completely forgot about that.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

This forum is pretty cool; I’ve heard people talk about how there were Internet forums in the early days of the Internet (or before it, in fact). I can definitely see the appeal of it, so I’m surprised they went out of style. They seem much more convenient than apps like Reddit or Discord (thought each have their own advantages). 

Yeah I was on a few of those forums. It was pretty cool. You were part of exploring a new way of communicating for the first time. And there was kind of a "culture" around it.  It's one of those you-had-to-be-there things. Like being part of a scene, like Seattle Grunge. If that makes any sense.

• Like 2

You could say that there is a friendly rivalry with AVEN. There are also people who got tired of the atmosphere over there & joined Arocalypse as "AVEN refugees." I became a moderator on AVEN to try to change things, but...the silencing of minorities who try to talk about racism extends even to staff members.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roboticanary said:

yeah, there is a size limit on photos as well as a limit on the most you can upload in total. to be honest i could probably be a bit more lenient on that since we are still nowhere near the limit of memory use on our hosting. as for how, reduce the image size, the picture you use for your profile is tiny and the limit is ~half a mb. to give context my pic is <17kb. I cant tell you what exactly will work on the image editors that you use but resizing to drop pixel count and convert to jpg and you should be well below the limit. If you click the option to add a pfp it will tell you the size limit you need to get below next to the line saying what file types are accepted.

the site has to pay a hosting service to host the site, there is a total limit of how much stuff (pictures, files, etc) which can be stored. if arocalypse ever bumped up against that limit then it would have to move to a pricier hosting plan (true pretty much wherever you decide to host). In general if you want low cost hosting the cutoff is usually in the low hundreds of gb total. if we got near that we would either have to take a big hike in fees (not sustainable) or mass delete old image content to bring us back down. 

as for links, i was unaware of that, could you explain what you mean by a limit of links and where this limit is occuring.

the text is called a signature, you can edit yours by clicking your profile in the top right, clicking account settings and clicking signature on the left menu. I'll add that to the site guide actually, i completely forgot about that.

Ooh, my bad! I think I confused myself and thought the limit applies to links as well. Sorry!

Does this limitation become a problem for other websites too, especially ones which people use a personal website or forums like AVEN? 

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it.

14 hours ago, roboticanary said:

Why doesn't it appear on mobile :-: I can only see it on the desktop version of this website.

19 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

Not to bring problems here, but is there some drama with AVEN and this forum? Or some internal drama going on in AVEN and among its members? 

i don't know much about specific drama, but I had an AVEN account for a while and just found the culture very uncomfortable. There were a few specific things, but they aren't really a big deal and aren't really that interesting. I also believer there was a point at which AVEN was thinking about taking over Arocalypse which made a lot of people mad, but I'm not positive that happened, so don't quote me on it lol.