feeling other

espop

Question

I love being aroace most of the time but once in a while, I feel really different or other from everyone else. I don't mind being different, but sometimes it feels othering in a bad way, like I'm wrong. (Which objectively I know isn't true)I figured I can't be the only one that feels like that sometimes. 

What do you do when you feel that way?

• Like 4

4 answers to this question

I sometimes feel this way, and surprisingly watching aroace tiktoks or ace tiktoks makes me feel more validated and happier

would totally recomend! tons of comps on yt!

Edited by A User
  • Like 1

I think about all the people I have ever heard of that have chosen to live unpartnered, for one reason or another. You can never really know if a historical person or someone you never met was aro or not, but it still adds a sense that this is a valid way to be, and a reasonable way to live ones life, and it makes me feel less alone. To me, looking back like that serves as a reminder that while being partnered was always the most common choice, it has never been the only choice. There has always been a lot of people choosing to do differently. Whether or not it was done for the same reason, it still reminds me that I am not as isolated as all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whenever I feel ‘other’ (which happens a lot less these days thankfully) I try to distract myself by doing something positive. Like drawing, or just making a cup of coffee or tea and picking up a book or comic I find comforting. Or I go for a quick walk. After a while, the logical bit of my brain has caught up with me and I feel like myself again. Different, but right instead of wrong.

Edited by Nix
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1