Stranger Things 4 (major spoilers warning)

alto

Ok so I def have an opinion on the character of Henry Creel from Stranger Things 4.  I love him as a character.  I think he is kind of queercoded, because in the show he looks very obviously effeminate.  And it's almost canon that he is an aromantic asexual (he says in his monologue that he is a solitary creature).  Just what we need, right?  Another aroace villain.  However, I kinda feel he's not all bad.  I think he cares about Eleven, and shows that in the scenes he has with her (except in that last scene where he is trying to kill her).  Obviously he is evil as Lord Vecna, and his younger self is evil.  But I sort of feel he might have a good side.  Am I crazy for thinking this?

Either way, I really appreciate the direction Stranger Things is going in as a show.  I like that they are making their villains a bit more complex than just mere monsters.  I also think Vecna could easily symbolize depression, or alternately lack of forgiveness.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I went back to find this, because I saw the topic title but hadn’t had time to watch the series yet (I’m watching it with my bestie so it took some time) and you had a spoiler warning in the title so thank you for that ;)

On 6/9/2022 at 12:56 AM, alto said:

Just what we need, right?  Another aroace villain.  However, I kinda feel he's not all bad.  I think he cares about Eleven, and shows that in the scenes he has with her (except in that last scene where he is trying to kill her).  Obviously he is evil as Lord Vecna, and his younger self is evil.  But I sort of feel he might have a good side.  Am I crazy for thinking this?

You are not crazy, because a good storyteller will want you to sympathise with a villain at some level. Making a villain 100% mustache twirling crazy does not make them very interesting.

I also got the feeling he cared for Eleven, because he asked her to join him instead of straight up murdering her as soon as she removed the ‘dampener’ from his neck. Not a very healthy way of caring though, since he tried to kill her as soon as she declared him a monster…

I also think Vecna could easily symbolize depression, or alternately lack of forgiveness.

Classic D&D Vecna was a powerhungry wizard turned Lich who would do ANYTHING for power. His eye and hand are powerfull magical items in the versions I played, who require the player to sacrifice their own eye/hand to use them. So if the monsters of the upsidedown are to symbolize something I guess Vecna is a symbol of ruthlessness 🤔

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also think Vecna could easily symbolize depression, or alternately lack of forgiveness.

Why depression ? I haven't got the feeling that he was depressed. Or maybe it is because he chose to sacrifice kids who have mental problems like depression for Max ?

Lack of forgiveness maybe, as it seems like he doesn't know this concept...

But I see it more like a symbol of bad and pessimism. He only sees the worst in people, and this worst will erase all the goods for him.  That's why he hates them so much.

(for some reason when I saw the title, I thought it was going to be about Will's orientation lol)

Edited by nonmerci

10 hours ago, nonmerci said:

(for some reason when I saw the title, I thought it was going to be about Will's orientation lol)

Ha, that is what I thought too :D