'Aromanticism'... The musical album?!

Arsenic

Okay, I don't know where to put this BUUUTTTT I found something! There is an album called Aromanticism, by the singer and composer Moses Summey. I haven't listened at it yet, I literally found about it like two minutes ago and I wanted to tell you all. Look at what wikipedia says about it: it is a concept album about "lovelessness as a sonic dreamscape" that "seeks to interrogate the idea that romance is normative and necessary". Now that my work is done, I am going to listen to it.

Update: it has a nice vibe, I like it, it's relaxing.

• Like 6

Its very artistic, deep, multifaceted, and sometimes confusing to understand what he is getting at. Especially the first music videos, it seemed like it was about more than typical aro stuff.

Quarrel- Maybe societal power dynamics, Hegel master slave dialectic, and the master becoming a horse represents Hegelian synthesis between two opposites. The mermaid one, lonely world. So I thought it was about a bad romantic relationship, and the mermaid needed her independence. She needed to go back into the sea. Also it was making a point that romance doesn’t always solve loneliness, it can lead to negative outcomes.

Self help tape was pure musical euphoria. Doomed was my favorite, I connected with it cause of how relatable it was. That deep feeling of loneliness and isolation we all feel/have felt, especially aros, finally music I understand. The matrix pod visuals where existential, emotional, and visually intriguing.

The rest of them are cool but I am still confused on them. I like to analyze and decode stuff and Moses music is great for people who like studying metaphors, and artistic expression / reflection.

Edited by Ikarus
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ikarus said:

Quarrel- Maybe societal power dynamics

There is actually a really cool podcast episode where he goes into really deep detail about that song in particular. 

https://songexploder.net/moses-sumney

From the transcript you get this really good quote about the social and the personal relationship thinking that inspired it.

"The song is about power. And it’s about two people in a relationship who are from different backgrounds, and so that could either be race or class or gender. Looking back in my life at relationships that I had had with people from different backgrounds who saw us as equals, and didn’t realize that in the broader scope of the world, their perspective was appreciated, on a wider scale shared, on a wider scale, and elevated, and so they were coming to the table with a social power that they were discounting in the personal relationship"

There is also a bit about how the song was inspired by going on a cruise/ted talk thing and meeting peoplewho were passionate environmentalists but not getting work around racial justice. "“Oh, you can see the ways in which the environment is oppressed, but you can’t see the ways in which other human beings are oppressed.”.

So yeah, big amount of power dynamics in that song.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 12:08 AM, Arsenic said:

Okay, I don't know where to put this BUUUTTTT I found something! There is an album called Aromanticism, by the singer and composer Moses Summey. I haven't listened at it yet, I literally found about it like two minutes ago and I wanted to tell you all. Look at what wikipedia says about it: it is a concept album about "lovelessness as a sonic dreamscape" that "seeks to interrogate the idea that romance is normative and necessary". Now that my work is done, I am going to listen to it.

Update: it has a nice vibe, I like it, it's relaxing.

It obviously caters to very special tastes. But I like Grimes’ early albums so…