Stalking and obsession as Romanticised traits genuinely freaks me out.

Ikarus

Have any of you heard that song, ever move you make, every step you take, every smile you fake, very breath you make I’ll be watching you. Well that song use to freak me out when I was a kid, and today the idea of people thinking about someone everyday, and losing sleep over it makes me feel sorry for allo’s and also afraid of them. 

Since I am a biological male, I don’t have to worry as much as aro woman do when it comes to being asked out. Usually guys ask the ladies out right? Well, I hope so, I’m not to good at romo culture. Anyway, I hope no one takes my no, or lack of interest in them, and becomes more obsessed with me. If I ignore woman, then will they think I am playing hard to get, and become obsessed with me? Yikes! 

Anyway, what do you people think about romantic obsession towards people, and how this is seen in romantic culture. Are you afraid of someone bothering or stalking you, or does the idea freak you out?

• Like 3

Yeah that song was very creepy, to the point that Sting was not keen on people seeing it as a positive romantic song. Here's a quote from the wiki.

Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it is about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Every_Breath_You_Take

• Like 5

Yes the song is supposed to be creepy. It's weird that so many people see it as romantic. But I suppose the melody plays a part in that, it's kinda romantic so that might add to the vibe. Kinda like my friend who thought that the rebounder by Amanda Jenssen was a feel good song, cause of the melody.

I think most women has to deal with romantic or sexual obsession from men. I've certainly encountered it. But I assume it's much less a problem for men. I suppose some women might do a kind of emotional manipulation, trying to get someone to feel guilty.

• Like 3

Another song that I LOVE (because of the rhythm, not the lyrics) is My number one, of the band Dream Evil. At first it sounds like the typical love song, but the more attention you pay to it, the more it sounds creepy. It talks about an obsession, a weird and sick kind of love... I don't know if the main intention was to make it sound creepy, but it is. 

Some of the lyrics are: 

You're my secret passion and I have no other
You're delicious
So capricious
If I find out you don't want me I'll be vicious

You're addiction
My conviction
You're my passion, my relief, my crucifixion
Never leave me
And believe me
You will be the sun into my raining season
Never leave me
And believe me
In my empty life you'll be the only reason

• Like 1

Another song this now reminds me of is 'Going to Georgia' by the mountain goats. Where the writer has basically came out against the song later saying it is mysogynistic garbage written by a young idiot (paraphrasing)

https://themountaingoats.fandom.com/wiki/Going_to_Georgia

This whole idea of obsession as romantic might be something that fades back a bit as we get older. What sounds really cool and tragic for a guy in his early twenties just looks stupid when you get older  

• Like 2