Hello everyone!

I.B.

Hello peoples, I've decided to make an account after lurking for a bit.

I go by I.B. but you can call me whatever you feel like.  I'm mid-20s, male, grad student (studying psychology*). I live in the US.  Other interests include all the stereotypical "nerdy" things... you name it and I'm probably a bit interested in it.

I currently consider myself a greyromantic.  I've always had complicated feelings about romance, and I can definitely relate to a lot of the thoughts I've seen expressed on this forum.

On the other hand, I'm definitely allosexual (honestly on the edge of hypersexual), although I also have some complicated thoughts about that as well.

Also I'd like to thank arocalypse for being a useful source of information to help me understand myself better.

* favorite subject ever, ask me anything about how the brain works and I'll try to answer

Hello! I'm glad you found this site, and I hope that the community can continue to be a good resource for you. :)
Psych is so interesting! I studied it in undergrad and can totally see why you'd want to pursue studying it further. What's your focus in your grad program?

22 minutes ago, Rainy Robin said:

What's your focus in your grad program?

My general area of interest is cognitive psychology (as opposed to, say, social psych).  Memory, decision-making, exploration, learning, etc. I like to straddle the line between psychology and neuroscience.

19 minutes ago, I.B. said:

Memory, decision-making, exploration, learning, etc. I like to straddle the line between psychology and neuroscience.

That's so cool! I had a chance to study some topics in the field of judgment and decision making, and it really blew my mind. Blending those ideas with neuroscience would make for an excellent grad program.

Hi.

6 hours ago, I.B. said:

On the other hand, I'm definitely allosexual (honestly on the edge of hypersexual), although I also have some complicated thoughts about that as well.

No doubt your choice of academic studies will help you try to sort out your questioning?

9 hours ago, vinniebandit said:

No doubt your choice of academic studies will help you try to sort out your questioning?

Perhaps it can someday. Although the sorts of answers that would be useful still feel very far off.  It would be nice to know the underlying cognitive mechanisms behind sexual/romantic attraction, and to be able to point to sources of variation between people.  Recently there's been plenty of advancements in knowing where in the brain certain processes occur, but there's a massive difference between "knowing where" and "understanding how".