Pets & Plants

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a very forgetful person so plants have always been my thing, I have 30+ plus but my favorites are definingly my big jade and cutlass Aglaonema. I did have a goldfish and dog growing up, both I loved dearly but cost and space wise plants are more manageable right now.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

When I was a kid, my aunt had two dogs.  Their names were Duke and Prince.  They were my besties :) 

• Like 1

I've wanted a dog ever since I can remember. I begged my parents for like 11 years until they allowed me to get one. In the meantime I had 3 fishes, but like not at the same time. I got my first one when I was 2, but it died after 3 weeks, so my parents bought me a new one, and it lived for 3 years, if I'm not mistaken. After that they got me an another one, that lived like 3/4 months. They [my parents] were probably so fed up with the fishes...

I also remember that when I was like 7, there was this stray cat, that would hang around my house all of the time. I really wanted to adopt him (obviously me and my father made sure that he was actually stray, and not that he had ran away from his owner), but my mother was strongly this. She hates cats, for some unknown reason.

I must add, that I also had a parrot for a while!! Although it lived with my grandparents and not with me, because my parents said it was too annoying for them to handle.

And as for the plants - I've always been kind of drawn to them. I had a lot of different flowers in my garden when I was younger, and I loved looking at them, and sometimes even taking care of them. Unfortunatelly, when I got myself a beautiful orchid, it died quickly, because I kept forgetting about watering them. It was probably due to my ADHD.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 4:14 AM, Keith said:

I've wanted a dog ever since I can remember. I begged my parents for like 11 years until they allowed me to get one. In the meantime I had 3 fishes, but like not at the same time. I got my first one when I was 2, but it died after 3 weeks, so my parents bought me a new one, and it lived for 3 years, if I'm not mistaken. After that they got me an another one, that lived like 3/4 months. They [my parents] were probably so fed up with the fishes...

I also remember that when I was like 7, there was this stray cat, that would hang around my house all of the time. I really wanted to adopt him (obviously me and my father made sure that he was actually stray, and not that he had ran away from his owner), but my mother was strongly this. She hates cats, for some unknown reason.

I must add, that I also had a parrot for a while!! Although it lived with my grandparents and not with me, because my parents said it was too annoying for them to handle.

And as for the plants - I've always been kind of drawn to them. I had a lot of different flowers in my garden when I was younger, and I loved looking at them, and sometimes even taking care of them. Unfortunatelly, when I got myself a beautiful orchid, it died quickly, because I kept forgetting about watering them. It was probably due to my ADHD.

That’s pretty interesting actually. Though depending on the place you live I can imagine how your parents wouldn’t want a dog. I mean I’m not gonna make any assumptions on your mom but she sounds kinda toxic? I don’t want to make any offensive statements but that’s just how it sounds so far and I’m sure that your mom’s a good person.

20 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

Though depending on the place you live I can imagine how your parents wouldn’t want a dog.

Yeah, I agree!! That's understandable.

21 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

I mean I’m not gonna make any assumptions on your mom but she sounds kinda toxic?

Kind of?? I mean she has her ups and downs, but I don't think she's like evil to the core.

24 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

I don’t want to make any offensive statements but that’s just how it sounds so far and I’m sure that your mom’s a good person.

It's fine!! No offense taken. I understand your point of view.

If your dads available, maybe try and drop more hints on him (or maybe other mom, ya never know) and tell him first if you think he’d react more positively. But just not much longer before. Maybe just test how each of them feel about it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 3:54 AM, Alaska Native Manitou said:

I grew up in the Alaska wilderness.  We were far from people but some animals would eat out of my hand, & my best friend was a wolf.  Since then I've lived in towns & now a city; I've taken care of dogs, cats, rabbits, goldfish, parakeets, cockatiels, & chickens.  I also remember the forget-me-nots & sitka spruces in Alaska & have had various houseplants, particularly aloes.

Which non-humans have been important to you?

I have two ball pythons, a crested gecko and a Russian tortoise. I’ve had many other reptiles besides that growing up, too. They’ve gotten me through so much shit. My cat Murka is also so much of a lifeline for me. She keeps me going. 

• Like 2