Shot in the dark here, anyone else here on the bipolar spectrum?

Queasy_Attention

I have bipolar 2! It affects the way I view myself and my personality-- I feel like I have a few different "types" of personalities depending on whether I'm in a hypo-manic swing, a depressive dip, or staying more at baseline (which makes things like personality tests kinda difficult, since I usually have two different answers that could apply at two different times.) For those unfamiliar, bipolar 2 is slightly different from bipolar disorder in that it's not as intense and is more or less manageable without hospitalization or intense medication-- though some people do choose to take medication to stabilize their moods.

It's a big part of my life and it's a little strange that I don't really share about it with anyone else. I've never met anyone with bipolar 2, save for lurking in r/bipolar2 lol. I seriously doubt anyone else around here is gonna relate or have this in common, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

• Like 1

I don't think I have bipolar specifically, but I have noticed that I have frequent periods of very productive high energy weeks/days and then I'll suddenly have a week where I don't wanna do anything or talk to anybody because I feel so dead inside, like all of the energy I had the week before is suddenly completely gone. That could be just normal depression or something but I don't know.

And, to briefly bring up aromanticism, I have noticed that I tend to "yern" for romance/sexual intimacy during these unmotivated moments than I do any other week where platonic friendships are more than enough.

Anyway sorry if it seemed like I hijacked a post that was only for bipolar people, but reading your description does kinda sorta describe me in a way? I would also love to know more about Bipolar since I know there is a lot of misinformation about it everywhere

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My psychiatrist has been reevaluating my diagnosis of chronic depression and has said that I have a mood disorder in addition to depression but hasn't labeled me as bipolar yet. My therapist has theorized that I have cyclothymia. I've been on Lamictal since late 2017, and with somewhat recent "recreational" medication changes (quit smoking weed over 3 months ago after 7 years), I've noticed a lot more mood swings. 90% sure I'm either BP2 or cyclothymic. Either way, somewhere on the spectrum!!

On 8/8/2020 at 12:39 AM, Queasy_Attention said:

I have bipolar 2! It affects the way I view myself and my personality-- I feel like I have a few different "types" of personalities depending on whether I'm in a hypo-manic swing, a depressive dip, or staying more at baseline (which makes things like personality tests kinda difficult, since I usually have two different answers that could apply at two different times.) For those unfamiliar, bipolar 2 is slightly different from bipolar disorder in that it's not as intense and is more or less manageable without hospitalization or intense medication-- though some people do choose to take medication to stabilize their moods.

It's a big part of my life and it's a little strange that I don't really share about it with anyone else. I've never met anyone with bipolar 2, save for lurking in r/bipolar2 lol. I seriously doubt anyone else around here is gonna relate or have this in common, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I relate to the feeling of different personalities. The "depressed me" is very antisocial and pessimistic and has no motivation or interest in anything. The in-between state/baseline for me is artistic, friendly, physically active, and curious about learning and reading. The "manic me" is chaotic, unfocused, "overly social" (texting 10 friends in one day to ask them how they are or shooting off random compliments)(sometimes it leads to sudden depression when I think of myself as being overbearing-- this is a pattern and I hate it!!), stays up late starting organizing projects (oddly enough, both political organizing and cleaning hahaa) or going on Wikipedia rabbit holes. For me the intensity has ebbed with better medication regularity and reducing other substances (I used to drink very heavily in my early 20s and up until recently was a heavy weed smoker), but that almost makes the sober mood swings more upsetting for me, but also validating of my mental illness diagnoses, not just "lite" addictions.

As an aside, my psychiatrist has told me that my mom has undiagnosed bipolar by the sounds of how I've described her. I think we probably know undiagnosed or "closet" bipolar people who just aren't open about their struggles. I know my mom was terrified when I told her I was on bipolar medication, there's still stigma for some of us...