More orientation types in the sidebar?

Coyote

Okay, technically maybe this should go under the Site Comments board, but I figured people might be more likely to read this if posted here. I've been thinking about how some aro aces identify as bi, gay, etc., and currently, the sidebar bio setup on Arocalypse isn't very geared toward multiple-axis labeling like that. There's just "Romanticism" and "Sexuality," with no particular place to put any other info -- and I imagine that for someone whose additional orientation is very nonromantic and nonsexual, figuring out how to work with this might pose a bit of a problem ( @Apathetic Echidna I think we talked about this once?). So I checked with Blue Pheonix, and he confirmed that it's possible to add more text box options.

1) Do y'all think another text box type should be added to the sidebar bio?

2) If so, what should it be called?

Well, there are two other orientations I occasionally use:  Aesthetic & Sensual.

And there's also the whole "oriented/angled" qualifier, but I'm not sure if that's something to add to an existing box or put in a new one.  How would you record "oriented aroace" in the current system?

5 minutes ago, Ace Of Hugs said:

Well, there are two other orientations I occasionally use:  Aesthetic & Sensual.

Is there any particular umbrella term for these things? Those are the ones I'm most familiar with, too, but I know there are also those who use these identity terms (like "bi") in a way that's not just about the physical, either.

2 minutes ago, Ace Of Hugs said:

How would you record "oriented aroace" in the current system?

I wouldn't, lol, because I'm miffed both at the choice to call it that* and the way that the particular person spearheading that term has talked about splitting the umbrella.

*"Oriented," as if aro and ace aren't themselves orientations. >> Sheesh.

But more generally -- yeah, that's exactly the problem I'm getting at. Like for someone like Elizabeth @Prismatangle for example, -- she's a bi ace, but the bi doesn't stand for biromantic. So does "bi" go in the Romanticism line or the Sexuality line? Neither one is right.

6 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Is there any particular umbrella term for these things? Those are the ones I'm most familiar with, too, but I know there are also those who use these identity terms (like "bi") in a way that's not just about the physical, either.

Not that I'm aware of, although I've occasionally wondered if they are the same thing, merely expressed in different ways.   Vision & touch are both senses, after all.  I will say, however, that my aesthetic attraction seems more specialized than my sensual one... it's more of a question of taste/preference than something fundamental (And it may also tie into some other personal issues I'd rather not go into)

maybe having more boxes being more specific is not the way...maybe just replace 'sexuality' with 'orientation' or some other similar word. I do think 'Romanticism is useful being separate but then there are all the people who do not separate....maybe get rid of 'Romanticism' and 'Sexuality' altogether and just have one box for whatever people choose to use in whatever way they choose to label their orientation. 

@Coyote yeah, we talked about how I made my boxes into a pyramid shape ? but I realise now that if I pass 999 posts the shape will be messed up. And the system as it is now is structured to support those who separate their sexuality and romanticism, with no mixing or other shared augmentation types of things.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1