I've found a new approach to coming out that's more comfortable to me

Holmbo

I've not come out as aro to many people overall. Most of the time the topic doesn't come up. But when I have it has always been by starting to explain the concept of aromanticism.

Yesterday a person I've recently got to know better told me he had a  crush on me. I decided to respond differently than I used to. Rather than to get into the terms I just said: I don't date. And then explained I don't have an interest in romantic relationships. Not until we had talked for a while did I mention the term, when he asked me if I was asexual.

I've decided I much prefer this approach to coming out since it's more about my choices than some uncontrollable orientation. And I wanted to share it in case someone else might be looking for a different approach too.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Star Lion said:

I always say that and then people respond with telling me that I’m smart for not doing so ? but I think the easiest way to come out in terms of aromanticism is to say “I don’t fall in love” because it leaves no room for interpretation

I suppose the most important thing for me to convey is that I'm content with being aro. I don't long for a romantic relationship. If one starts by explaining aromanticism, a lot of people will want to reassure, saying you'll find someone, or that maybe you can learn to love. But if I start by explaining it as my choice then they know I don't need reassurance or advice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/6/2019 at 8:00 AM, Holmbo said:

Yesterday a person I've recently got to know better told me he had a  crush on me. I decided to respond differently than I used to. Rather than to get into the terms I just said: I don't date. And then explained I don't have an interest in romantic relationships. Not until we had talked for a while did I mention the term, when he asked me if I was asexual.

I did this until very recently...because I ended up in a relationship. 

But definitely avoids a lot of the terminology mish-mash.