Favorite philosopher?

DeltaAro

9 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Does Paracelsus count?

Yes, because he did also philosophy. Why is he your favorite philosopher? ??

My favorite one is Descartes. I think his system is endlessly fascinating and a great pop culture inspiration, B| though I regard it as wrong. xD Still he's far more subtle than he’s usually given credit for. I learned that after reading Demons, Dreamers, and Madmen by Harry G. Frankfurt.

I also like his writing style very much. After reading him it feels like having a conversation with a good friend. That's an interesting contrast to his eminence.

I like Paracelsus because he was an early supporter (in European history, anyway) of things such as "Lectures should be done in the language of the common people, not Latin, to make them accessible to the public," "You should learn via practical lessons and test things for yourself too, instead of just unquestioningly following books written hundreds of years ago and taking them as 100% true and letting that be your entire medical education," and "You should wash your hands and keep wounds clean and protected instead of literally rubbing cow shit in open wounds." (No, seriously, that last part is true. Horrifying, but that was genuinely a thing that was done at the time.) He was also a hell of a sarcasm master, and didn't stop fighting against bad practices in medicine and academia even when everyone else told him to shut up, which as a punk myself I find admirable tbh.

I'm not saying he was a perfect guy ofc, but there are definitely things about him I think are at the very least pretty interesting.

On 4/21/2019 at 2:38 AM, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I'm not saying he was a perfect guy ofc, but there are definitely things about him I think are at the very least pretty interesting. 

Also he was first in proposing that pure chemicals could be medicine.

Still we’ve yet to find anything that makes him a great philosopher. You seem to like him more as a pioneer and reformer of medicine.

6 minutes ago, DeltaV said:

Also he was first in proposing that pure chemicals could be medicine.

Still we’ve yet to find anything that makes him a great philosopher. You seem to like him more as a pioneer and reformer of medicine.

I mean, I would like to think that "education should be accessible, and knowledge should be verified via firsthand experience" are pretty good philosophies to have. He was also often compared to Martin Luther in his day, though admittedly he didn't really care.

I guess I can see where you're coming from, though, but I tend to think of alchemy and philosophy as being inherently connected, so that's why he came to mind

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaf_Stapledon

He advocated the growth of "spiritual values", which he defined as those values expressive of a yearning for greater awareness of the self in a larger context ("personality-in-community"). Stapledon himself named his spiritual values as intelligence, love and creative action.

He was also a forerunner of extropian thinking, as he described evolution as a journey towards "harmonious complexity". He was also a transhumanist, since he believed our current human species will in the future replaced by a more evolved one.