Need advice on a few things: Aromantic short film and awareness week

Hey y’all (yes I just said y’all I’m sorry XD) I’m back! So this time, I just thought I should get some insight from other aros. So first things first, I’m making a short film for film class, and guess what, I’m making the main character an aromantic female! So the premise of the story is that she used to be with these two guys, todd and luka, who she is now broken up with. Luka is pretty cool about it, he becomes Skylar’s friend (that is her name) and he talks about her about the issues she has. However, I’m making Todd the antagonist, after she breaks up with him, explaining that she jsut doesn’t “feel” that for him and that she doesn’t really understand those romantic acts, he gets quite angry and tries to change her. I’m trying to make Todd a metaphor for amanatormativity, but i jsut kinda wanted some help as to how I can do this respectfully without completely offending allo people? Because that ain’t my goal, it’s just to use him as a symbol of how stupid it can be. Also, how can I make Skylar a believable and respectable aromantic character? I’m aromantic myself so I do know how to make her in many aspects, but each aro is different, so if you have any suggestions as to how to introduce her as a kind and caring character to allos, that would be awesome! Lastly, what are some ways to really spread the word on awareness week? I really want to get the word out, since it’s around Valentine’s Day. Thank you all so much! I’ve been getting a lot of support and I just want to say thank you all so much :) big virtual hugs and cookies! ? ?

That is so cool! 

I guess the best way to highlight anatomativity is to have Todd be in complete denial that she doesn't want to be in any relationship, but that could lead to weird creepy stalker vibes. 

Personally it would be more focused if the Todd character was Skylar's female friend because really, rejection goes bad often for everyone but we all seem to be able to fill out the aromantic bingo card from things our friends and family say. >Also the stuff on the aromantic bingo would be good to try and work in because most of that is reflective of anatonormativity. 

Or maybe just focus on the belittling of friendships being the lesser connection compared to romantic attachments? 

I guess it will be all about how extreme you take it will determine how offended allos might be. One thing you mustn't do is specifically refer to your audience as allos, because you should never label the orientation of another (but that is pretty basic, so it is unlikely you would do that anyway)

That's awesome! You have to share it with us when it's done! (if you want to)

I suppose the biggest stigma for aros is that we're either emotionless or that we had some trauma that makes us unable to feel love. So you could make sure to show Skylar as having a very "normal" life except for being aro.

When it comes to Todd. Maybe don't make him too stereotypical male, because then people might only see the message as "some men are assholes" rather than how men and women both view aros. I agree with AE (though my phone refuses to tag her) that you can use aromantic bingo to choose the questions Todd will ask

@Apathetic Echidna thank you so much! And yes, I was worried that Todd May lead to people thinking he’s a weird stalker or something like that, which I don’t want to do. And that’s an interesting take on it, and I think I’ll definitly check out the aromantic bingo :) and yes, I won’t directly refer to them as “allos” I know that could be quite offensive and it’s not my goal to make allos seem like the bad guys. Thank you so much for your help! ? @Holmbo thank you so much! And yes I will definitly share when I’m done! And yea, I wanted to show Skylar having a normal life instead of her experiencing trauma and such as many people suspect aros May have been through. And good point, I was actually kinda concerned with the way I wrote Todd he came off as a toxic male, and that the point of the film would be that males are toxic, I may have to rewrite his character a bit. And I will definitly check out the bingo! Thank you all so much for helping! ???

Archived