Hi (apparently this is a thing)

SparkyTheRoman

Hi, my names Katrin, I don't exactly know what to write for this but other people were doing it so why not. 

I'm aromantic and asexual, stupidly enough I was convinced I couldn't be asexual for about half a year (because I forgot about it) all because of a message in a group chat that I vaguely remember (someone said that they were asexual and I thought there couldn't be two asexuals in friend group, idk what my reasoning was but that's the basics). 

As for gender, I don't know. I'm leaning towards genderflux or similar but then I'll feel like a girl for ages and thus leads me wondering if I'm just faking it. 

things about me: I'm half deaf, half Dutch half English, I like history and I've probably written too much for this. 

I find it interesting how so many people on Arocalypse don't conform to romantic, sexual, or gender norms :P. It seems to me that these are all intangible concepts most people take for granted, and if you feel the need to question them you're probably not faking anything! I mean, there's a difference between a girl that likes "boy stuff" (ex. childhood me with my collection of bugs in jars in my room and aptitude for fixing random household items) and someone who's genderqueer. Just like there's a difference between getting "butterflies" (the good kind of uncomfortable) and feeling repulsed in romantic situations.

Anyway, welcome to Arocalypse :aroicecream:! Happy Aro-Spec Awareness Week!

Oh my god the faking it thing I feel all the time. Even till this day I have these phases where I think I'm faking being an aromantic to be "edgy". And rationally I know how dumb it is for me to think like that because every signs and every experiences ever point to me being obviously aromantic. And when I heard what aromanticism was I was so damn sure. It's objectively obvious that I am but sometimes I doubt about it and just about everything I feel like maybe I'm convinced of it because I'm just a really really good faker. 

In french it's called the impostor syndrom when you think you're a faker and that truly you're could be the opposite of what you think you are and you feel like the approbation of others people is what's gonna make you truly sûre of something and be valid. That's honestly a crazy thing but yeah I feel you on that. I think like the person before said if you even feel like you need to question your gender it's probably not for nothing. 

I for exemple have this impostor syndrome thing going on in my life and I didn't ever doubt about my gender (and I doubt about so.much things all the time). I'm a cis woman I never felt the need to wonder if I'm something more even when I talked to a lot of trans people around me their experience just never echoed in me. I think that you're probably questioning it and are interested by this concept because in the end it echoed in you. That's probably not for nothing. 

Anyway welcome here and good luck on your path to discovering yourself :aroicecream:

Archived