Christianity and Aromanticism

katicha

(sorry to necro-post but I need to bring this topic back up)

I am 16 years old right now (junior in HS) and I have been raised heavily christian my entire life. I recently learned about aromanticism and realized that it fit the bill and was exactly what I have felt my entire life. 

When I learned about this I felt as tho I had to tell someone. First I told my non-christian supportive friend  and then told my youth pastor that I am close with, his response was "You might not feel the same way later, and you might be in your head a bit too much. Also there are many examples in the bible about being single" His response kinda made me feel bad but also made me realize that the bible (at least the Presbyterian view of it) doesn't have any stated problems with being aromatic. 

I know that If I tell my parents that I don't really feel romantic love for anyone that they will be completely fine with that, but if I tell them that it is related with lgbtqia+ then they would freak the f*ck out. That is how I believe most of them church would react, its the stigma against not being straight that keeps me from being honest with others and myself. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rackson said:

I know that If I tell my parents that I don't really feel romantic love for anyone that they will be completely fine with that, but if I tell them that it is related with lgbtqia+ then they would freak the f*ck out.

About the same for me. During an assembly I heard a bible verse talking about those who choose to never marry going father than others who do. Technically speaking the Christian bible (at least the one I use) supports aromanticism, BUT what it doesn't support is association with the lgbtqia+ community. My parents are devout Christians who insist on associating every aspect of life with religion. I have already told them that I likely won't get married. It's funny because being not-straight can mean you're aromantic which the bible does support, but being aromantic means that you aren't straight which the bible does not support. Confusing much?

• Like 1

I love that this thread has been revived recently because this is something I enjoy talking about!

I was raised Anglican, but I now identify as a liberal Christian. I find that this is a more open and welcoming branch of Christianity to be a part of if you're queer, which is one of the reasons I decided to identify with it. So while I wouldn't go out of my way to mention my queerness, I wouldn't necessarily hide it either (especially the aromantic part, since single life is fairly acceptable within Christianity).

Edited by iamdefinitelyhuman
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...