Am I aromantic?

Mage_Blood

Hey guys, new to the forum, I was just wondering if you guys could help me figure out if I was aromantic or not.  I realized a few days ago that a lot of the crushes I can remember were based on things that I now consider arbitrary, like similar fandoms or hobbies, and that I may not have ever had a "real crush". Would something like this make me aromantic? Thanks for the help :)

That could very much make you aromantic, but the best indicator is thinking about how you view others today and if that is in any romantic. If not; if you just want to talk and spend time doing things with others; if you just can't picture living with someone else and doing sappy stuff, then maybe you're aromantic. Ultimately the label comes down to how you perceive and define yourself but from that short description, it sounds like this forum would be an asset to you.

I agree with Louis Hypo. I'd also suggest if you've never had anything like really intense, obsessive feelings towards anyone else that seemed to go beyond wanting to be just friends in some way, then it's likely you haven't had an actual crush in the way most other people would experience them. Crush feelings are more innate (and/or irrational/non-arbitrary - i.e. not picking traits you like and decide to try and like someone based on those) and can develop unexpectedly, either suddenly ("love" at first sight) or you start liking someone more over a period of time, and then later on realise you "like" like them. At least, I've experienced romantic attraction like that, sometimes suddenly, and other times it's taken me a while to realise I liked the other person.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope you can find some answers to anything else you might be wondering here :) 

Archived