Aromantic fairy tale

lollipop

All the fairy tales I grew up with were centered mostly around romance (every princess ever). So I challenge you guys to write a fairy tale of an aromantic person. Let's see who has the best imagination.

Edit: Didn't properly read the premise. Sorry!

Once upon a time, there was the Princess Bob. They were being forced to marry against their will, to some prince named Joe or whatever. The day before their wedding Bob snuck out and stumbled into the forest, where it began to rain. Cold, sad and hungry, they found shelter within a cave to wait the night out and come back. There was no way they'd survive out here, they just had to suck it up and marry-

"Hello?"

There was somebody else in the cave! Bob yelped and jumped up, looking around the pitch black cave.

"Whoa!" The voice said. "Calm down, I'm not going to hurt you. I heard you crying; are you okay?"

"I should be okay," Bob sniffed, wiping their eyes. "Everyone says I'm being ridiculous, and I'm starting to think I am. Who else would run away and get stuck in a cave with... who are you, exactly?"

"Uh... Sam?" A pause. "Who are you?"

They were a famous princess... gotta choose another name. "Anne. I'm Anne."

"So why are you in this cave, Anne?"

With a deep breath, Bob started to unload everything onto the stranger. The marriage, their panic, how everyone's reassurances seemed... hollow. How those words turned to ridicule and dismissal, and how they fled from the castle in tears only to realise it was futile; they had to head back tomorrow, lest they starve or freeze in some remote cave in the wilderness.

All of this was met with attentive silents, noises of understanding... even a soft hand on their shoulder. The rain slowed, and the night wore on until daylight streamed into the cave, and Bob finished their story.

"Heh, that's everything," They looked at the stranger; the light illuminated a faint outline of their face. "I bet you think I'm ridiculous too, right?"

"No! No, I don't." A pause. "Listen, I have something to tell you. My name isn't Sam."

Bob frowned. "Then, what is it?"

"It's actually... Joe. Prince Joe."

"Oh. Oh."

"And - wouldn't you believe it? - I'm also fleeing an arranged marriage. I don't want to get married either... Bob? I'm pretty sure you're Princess Bob, right?"

"You can just call me Bob." They looked out to the exit of the cave. "So... what now?"

There was a pause before Joe spoke. "You know, I never wanted to get married, but there was one thing I always wanted."

"What was that?"

"To live in a castle with my best friend, somebody who really understands me. What I'm trying to say is... well... we might have to get married, but we don't actually have to get married, right?"

Bob was beginning to see where this was going. "So, like, we just go through with the whole marriage junk, but drop it as soon as we get back and never do any of that couple-y stuff?"

"Pretty much."

"I like how you think, Joe!" Bob took Joe's hand. "So, shall we go?"

"Right behind you, Bob!"

And so Bob and Joe got 'married', promptly burning the certificate as soon as they were in their own castle. After a few years they became monarchs, struck down the arranged marriage rule, got divorced, then turned the kingdom into a democracy so there was none of that messy successor stuff they didn't want to get into. Also they invented ice cream. The End.

22 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

And so Bob and Joe got 'married', promptly burning the certificate as soon as they were in their own castle. After a few years they became monarchs, struck down the arranged marriage rule, got divorced, then turned the kingdom into a democracy so there was none of that messy successor stuff they didn't want to get into. Also they invented ice cream. The End.

This is the most amazing ending of a story I have ever read

\

Archived