Aromantics or asexuals in school

Anything's allowed here really

But

When I was in school, we had sex ed, and because we were an unhinged school in general, people would say some crazy crap. From you NEED to have sex, everyone's doing it, to hearing your friends say "drop me at ()'s house." Or just that masturbation is sth everyone does...like tf?

Anyone relate? Like i aint seeing a man put a condom on for my entire life it's just not for me.

• Like 1

My church sex ed was awesome.  In the end we had a big hot dog party, and a friend asked, "What's the big idea with them serving us tubular food?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

The sex ed at my high school was sadly very vague at best, to cis/hetero/allonormative at worst. The teacher I had would explain how sex worked between a man and a woman and that you should use protection, how to use protection, etc etc, and kind of only talked about sex as a means of reproduction and not because maybe two (or more) people would just want to do it for fun? and despite being more detailed about the hetero side of things when it comes to sex ed, it was somehow still kind of dangerously vague?? But, although I am not saying a sex ed class has to be perfect when it comes to talking about minorities (you can only demand so much out of the KY educational system, or an educational system maintained by (usually) white cishetallos), my teacher never once mentioned gay sex at all, nor even a pathetic passing sentence, "Some people are gay and may only want sex with the same gender, and so how sex works between a man and a woman will be totally different and not necessarily applied to them," or that some people may be trans or intersex and so sex would be different for them, too. Aromanticism and asexuality are literally not that well known at all where I live, unless someone is aspec themselves or a real good ally of the aspec community, so any mention of people who may literally not want sex at all, don't masturbate or only masturbate, or just want sex for fun and that's it, aren't mentioned; Hell, it's not even about mentioning aro and ace people sometimes, people in general that have a complex relationship to sex and masturbation, and relationships as a whole, aren't talked about in these classes, and it's allonormative in that the teacher themself believes that the students they're teaching are going to be wanting these things in the future or are already doing it.

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
  • Like 1