Feedback Request: Carnival of Aros

So, I'm looking for some feedback for the Carnival of Aros. I have a feeling it's just the current online culture, considering how popular the Carnival of Aces has consistently been and yet recently has suffered the same lack of attention and growth as the smaller Carnival of Aros, but it seems worth asking. We often struggle to find hosts and participation is consistently pretty low, so I'm looking for some feedback to dig into why this could be and if there's anything we can do to improve it.

Carnival of Aros information/site here: https://carnivalofaros.wordpress.com/about/

Guided questions:

• What are your thoughts on the Carnival of Aros?
  • Is the Carnival of Aros useful to you?
  • Are there changes that would make the Carnival of Aros more exciting or generally accessible to you?
  • If applicable, what are the reasons you don't or haven't participated in the Carnival of Aros?

I'd be interested in anything you have to say about the Carnival of Aros at all, good, bad, constructive, etc.

I have also created a google forms if you want to leave feedback more anonymously. All questions are optional, so you can answer as many or as few as you want.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I really enjoy reading the entries, but I haven’t participated (I did once) because when I do I want to actually contribute something useful. I’m pretty bad at putting my thoughts into text so it simply takes too much time for me to write something I feel will be worth sharing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Nix said:

I really enjoy reading the entries, but I haven’t participated (I did once) because when I do I want to actually contribute something useful. I’m pretty bad at putting my thoughts into text so it simply takes too much time for me to write something I feel will be worth sharing. 

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm glad people are reading and finding answers interesting. =)

You don't have to answer, but I have a couple of follow up questions if you're willing.

1. Would it be easier for you to submit if we accepted multiple mediums? For example, would you find it easier to represent your thoughts via painting, song, music composition, sculpture, etc.?

2. Have you thought about hosting as a way to participate? (If not, why?)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hemogoblin said:

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm glad people are reading and finding answers interesting. =)

You don't have to answer, but I have a couple of follow up questions if you're willing.

1. Would it be easier for you to submit if we accepted multiple mediums? For example, would you find it easier to represent your thoughts via painting, song, music composition, sculpture, etc.?

2. Have you thought about hosting as a way to participate? (If not, why?)

1. Hm, I guess I would find it a lot easier to represent my thoughts in a drawing. So if that would be an option that would help :)

2. Hosting means I have to promote, get in contact with people who want to participate and present the content in a pleasant format on a website/blog that I have to maintain. All things I have to do a lot for my work which I actually really dislike 😬

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nix said:

1. Hm, I guess I would find it a lot easier to represent my thoughts in a drawing. So if that would be an option that would help :)

2. Hosting means I have to promote, get in contact with people who want to participate and present the content in a pleasant format on a website/blog that I have to maintain. All things I have to do a lot for my work which I actually really dislike 😬

Thanks so much for this! This gave me a lot of insight on some things we need to clear up.

1. I personally would be happy to accept any form of art, not just writing. I tried hosting once and encouraging art but got no submissions along those lines. I would like to discuss with the other hosts if this is something they're amenable to as well. A lot of the places I promote are pretty drawing-focused, so that might be an avenue for us if properly promoted.

2. Would it help to know that we don't expect you to promote at all? We do all the promotion for you! That's actually specifically my job. (I am slacking right now because I got locked out of discord thanks to 2fa, but I have a handful of places to promote, so it's not a total loss.) All you have to do is write the post and have an accessible way to submit to you (google forms, email). You could host by posting a topic on this forum. Or if you really don't want to host on your own website or anything, we could post your call for submissions on the Carnival of Aros site for you. We'd expect you to keep track of submissions, but as long as you wrote the post, I believe we'd be happy to host the post for you.

This brought up a lot of good stuff, though! I bet we could pretty easily provide a template for hosting/round ups that might help writing a call seem easier and more accessible.

Thank you again so much for your time and insight! I have some things to discuss with the other hosts based on this. I really appreciate it. =)

• Thanks 1

I haven't really participated so I don't know how useful my input is. One reflection I have though is I personally find the name confusing. It took very long until I understood what it was about, I thought it was some kind of physical event. So maybe that's keeping people from participating. But I don't have a blog or anything like that so maybe it's more known to people who are content creators. 

6 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I haven't really participated so I don't know how useful my input is. One reflection I have though is I personally find the name confusing. It took very long until I understood what it was about, I thought it was some kind of physical event. So maybe that's keeping people from participating. But I don't have a blog or anything like that so maybe it's more known to people who are content creators. 

Considering we'd like to boost participation, feedback from folk who don't participate is most helpful, lol. Thanks!

Edited by hemogoblin

1 hour ago, hemogoblin said:

Considering we'd like to boost participation, feedback from folk who don't participate if most helpful, lol. 

Hehe yeah that makes sense. I just mean that even after learning what it was I haven't participated. So it's not like my ignorance was the hinder.