Is it a red flag that a man changes his behaviour and clothing style around me to o attract me?

Guest Aconcernedgirly

Question

Guest Aconcernedgirly

I met this man via my social circle, I could feel he liked me physically. Later that day, he proceeded to check me up online on a website where I could see it (I don't believe he knows that) and when I saw him again at an event he knew I would be at, he started talking to me out of the blue about one of my very peculiar hobbies as though it was his too and had changed his clothing style to match my type of clothes. I can tell he is attracted, he doesn't seem like a bad guy, just very anxious and very soft-spoken but I am kind off put off by this behaviour and scared as he is much older (mid thirties while I am in my late 20s). 

Is it a red flag? Should I be wary? I can tell he is trying to get closer to me, so I would like opinions on whether I should avoid him for safety or if he is just awkward.

3 answers to this question

I have no idea in this situation, an aromantic site probably isn’t the best place for this but Jot-Aro Kujo seems to often be the bearer of good advice. Though I truly have no idea, don’t go seek out Kujo yourself, I just see them as a better person for answers. 

It’s not a red flag. Kind of immature/trying too hard, but not malicious or concerning. Give it enough time and he’ll either get into them for real, or get bored and give up. You can also just tell him you’re not interested. 

Some people will deliberately pretend to have similar interests in order to spend more time with you. Usually this isn't meant to be hurtful, it's intended as a way to get to know you better and to engage with you. That said, the fact that you feel put off by his behaviour and scared of him because of the age difference is reason enough to stop having contact with him. 

Edited by Picklethewickle
typo