So how long did it take for you guys to be sure?

HelloThere

16 minutes ago, Keith said:

I realized I'm on the aromantic spectrum at the age of 13 (I think), however due to my amanormative mindset I didn't really want to accept it. It took me a while, like 3 months to fully comprehend that it's actually a part of me, and about another 4 to understand how it affects me. I still don't think I can say that I'm sure about it, probably because I'm never sure about anything, but it's what describes me the best at the moment.

Wow, I must have done a lot of introspection then. I mean I'm definitely never 100% sure about things but after going through the 90th "am i aroace" quiz, I sorta realized that at the moment that is what best describes me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HelloThere said:

Generally I do view dating or marriage as something for me to try to avoid, and I’d like to keep it that way because it just doesn’t look… pleasant. I mean seeing a bunch of lovestruck children ogling over people just makes me see that person as generally rather more weak for it. I don’t really get a “pit” in my stomach whenever I see that so much, I just get bored or annoyed and generally view it as almost satirical. Like seeing that in movies or shows just often feels like a necessary thing that I wish wasn’t necessary in film. It’s just so… pointless. Like whenever I remark about a good show or movie almost everyone focuses on the characters shipping and being “CuTe CoUpLeS” but tbh the only thing I see is two people who kiss and obsess about one another far too much. Like I often tended to advocate for relationships failing in movies and the characters just focusing on the actual plot. Yes I definitely find that crap tolerable most of the time but it just gets really annoying and boring after seeing it for ages, I just want actual plot and I only ever seem to pay attention or care about gay characters because I just want to get more used to that in the media. I mean I’ve even contemplated looking for random, disgusting, and over-the-top romance movies just to see how much I can tolerate.

Yess. Like, granted I do sometimes ship people romantically in shows, but I usually do that towards characters who may be canonically together and function like a healthy team, or  if they aren't together they at least have a good chemistry that feels like they could be romantically together, or even queerplatonically, still function like a healthy team, and don't generally act only platonic together even if that's how their relationship is left off in the piece of media; I usually don't ship characters that do feel like they are only just platonic. But the same B plot of characters obsessing over one another and general romantic tropes occurring nonstop does feel tiring for me, and is not my cup of tea generally, nor the type of romance I like typically; not saying that people can't like those!! I just can get burned out after a while.

The type of romance I like is the natural progression of an amazing relationship where them being romantic can make sense, but I don't see a lot of this at all. Usually only in fanfic actually, with some shows being an exception like Heartstopper, Our Flag Means Death, and maybe Good Omens, though people do read Crowley and Aziraphale as either platonic or queerplatonic.

But despite my gripes and how I usually only focus on plot - and I may have said something about this somewhere - I can still sit through romance in shows/movies (though typically more so in shows). I can stomach it far more easily, no matter what romance they want to throw in, than if I was reading it.

14 minutes ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

Yess. Like, granted I do sometimes ship people romantically in shows, but I usually do that towards characters who may be canonically together and function like a healthy team, or  if they aren't together they at least have a good chemistry that feels like they could be romantically together, or even queerplatonically, still function like a healthy team, and don't generally act only platonic together even if that's how their relationship is left off in the piece of media; I usually don't ship characters that do feel like they are only just platonic. But the same B plot of characters obsessing over one another and general romantic tropes occurring nonstop does feel tiring for me, and is not my cup of tea generally, nor the type of romance I like typically; not saying that people can't like those!! I just can get burned out after a while.

The type of romance I like is the natural progression of an amazing relationship where them being romantic can make sense, but I don't see a lot of this at all. Usually only in fanfic actually, with some shows being an exception like Heartstopper, Our Flag Means Death, and maybe Good Omens, though people do read Crowley and Aziraphale as either platonic or queerplatonic.

But despite my gripes and how I usually only focus on plot - and I may have said something about this somewhere - I can still sit through romance in shows/movies (though typically more so in shows). I can stomach it far more easily, no matter what romance they want to throw in, than if I was reading it.

Yeah, often in books it’s a lot worse. You can’t just skip through that because you might skip the actual content so you have to sit through the ogling on romance and crap. The emotional aspect is the only mildly bearable thing, and that’s really about it.

• Like 1