Can I get some advice??

Guest Inma

Guest Inma

Hi! I was just wondering if I could get some advice. I'm 14 years and since I was twelve I know I'm ace, and last year I found out that I'm aro too. 

I just don't know how to tell my parents and friends, because It is so annoying when they assume some things about me that aren't what I really feel. But I'm very afraid of what they could think and say. So what do you think that I should do?? Also sorry for my English haha.

So my question is think first “why do you want to come out to your parents?” If you want to come out because you’re pretty darn sure and want the expectations to end, that’s fine just be sure you’re as confident as possible. If you’ve learned from experience then I’d suggest citing that if you do come out. Make sure to sorta build up a friend support system, maybe tell a trusted adult or two that could back you up. If you choose to come out, do so when parents are happy and comfortable and you feel comfortable with it. Prepare yourself for questions they may ask and have a set of requests for your parents, sorta what you wan them to think of this. That’s all I really know but it should help. Just be confident and remember there’s no wrong way to do so. :D

• Like 1

I would say just do what feels comfortable. If you want to know how they feel about aromanticism or asexuality, then you could try introducing it to them in some way that doesn't reveal that you are aroace, such as saying you know someone who is aroace. However, you just do whatever you think is best for your own situation. 

You also don't necessarily need to use the terms "aromantic asexual" or "AroAce" at all. It all kind of depends on your parents and your current situation. See if you can try beating around the bush or dropping hints, and testing their reaction to get an idea.