Hilarious Thing Happened in Culture Quiz in French

DannyFenton123

So I'm in French in America, and they did this multiple choice quiz about manners in different cultures around the world. It was all pretty random (what do you not give to a Chinese couple on their wedding?) Being from England, I noticed two questions about English culture. One of them was:

'When you stick up your index and middle finger and point the back of your palm at someone, what does it mean?' It's of course the V sign, which is basically like giving the middle finger to somebody; sometimes I see people do it in America and I have to stop a moment to remember it doesn't mean anything here xD

So anyway we get to that question and before anybody answers the French teacher makes everyone try out the expression, so there's a circle of people doing the V sign and it's hilarious. Then she explains it's an insult (and points out that I won't even do it for some reason; I feel I was pretty much on display as 'the English kid' during that part of the lesson) and people start doing it at me. Now that I know they know it's an insult, I'm not really sure what to think. Are they trying to insult me, or is it just not sinking in that that gesture is a terrible thing to point at somebody?

Soooo basically I just got a ton of people giving me the two fingered salute in French. It was an interesting day. 9_9

This makes me wonder, do brits ever use their middle finger in this fashion or do they only use this two fingered salute? Or do they use both? If brits use both, which is more common?

Archived