does anyone else feel like this?

Guest Anonymous

Question

for context, i’m grey aroace.

i always hear people talk about how it was hard to accept being acespec, and even more difficult to accept arospec, but i didn’t find it that way.

both were pretty easy for my to come to terms with. really i think it made me feel better to know my label. i mean yeah, it’s a little sad, but it doesn’t really hurt that bad? i dunno. did anyone else feel like this?

7 answers to this question

yes. ive been strictly aro my entire life and since i didnt live in an amanormative community i didnt feel alienated nor oppressed. when i discovered theres a term for my lack of romantic attraction i happily identified as such. its extremely easy for me to accept myself bc my feelings are really straightforward and im lucky to have a pretty good life thus far

Yeah there are times where I've struggled with my orientation but I found out about aromanticism pretty young and had no trouble accepting it. I was just like, "oh, that's what I am, that makes sense!"

oh absolutely. i have really supportive friends that accepted me being aro super easily. (though that might be cause i went through more labels than there is letters in the alphabet but oh well) i never really minded it, i never had crushes or cared much for marriage or kids so i adjusted pretty easily. i occasionally have moments where i get upset about it but im happy as i am

On 1/6/2023 at 9:40 PM, Guest Anonymous said:

for context, i’m grey aroace.

i always hear people talk about how it was hard to accept being acespec, and even more difficult to accept arospec, but i didn’t find it that way.

both were pretty easy for my to come to terms with. really i think it made me feel better to know my label. i mean yeah, it’s a little sad, but it doesn’t really hurt that bad? i dunno. did anyone else feel like this?

Tbh I kinda relate. I’m not 100% sure yet but pretty much no one is. I never wanted a relationship in the first place so then if I’m right then it’s more of an “Oh no! Anyway. ;)”

Guest Ann

I totally relate, right down to being grey aroace specifically. For me, realizing my label* was like finding out that I'm not the ugliest duckling, I'm just a swan - my romantic attraction isn't broken, it's just different. Granted there are still times when the feelings themselves make me sad and confused, but having my label to hold onto reminds me that, if nothing else, I'm not the only one.

Rock on, fellow aro-spec peeps.

(*specifically that of greyromantic; being asexual is even easier for me lol)

On 5/8/2023 at 5:10 PM, Guest Ann said:

I totally relate, right down to being grey aroace specifically. For me, realizing my label* was like finding out that I'm not the ugliest duckling, I'm just a swan - my romantic attraction isn't broken, it's just different. Granted there are still times when the feelings themselves make me sad and confused, but having my label to hold onto reminds me that, if nothing else, I'm not the only one.

Rock on, fellow aro-spec peeps.

(*specifically that of greyromantic; being asexual is even easier for me lol)

Yeah it’s weird, it’s much easier to be sure of one’s sexuality but romance is a WHOLE different story. You’re always paranoid, wondering if it’s a crush or a squish, always doubting yourself, or wondering if it’ll last. At least that’s my experience so far but at this point I’m just biding my time.