New dark theme feedback request

roboticanary

Hello

recently in general site suggestions a very good point was raised about dark theme being poor quality.

I have put in a second dark theme currently called dark green testbed, this way we can play about with things without breaking the current theme for those who use it.

I would be very happy if people here took a look and gave feedback on what needs to be changed to make it better.

current changes:

• header text is changed to grey rather than dark blue so it is clearer
  • same with dark text in section headings, blue/black text replaced with grey
  • background darkened in both header and forum sections (makes the new grey text show up)
  • pure white text replaced with light grey where found
  • comment count background darkened

things i know need fixing but not sure how yet:

• searchbar being a big white blob
  • text editing options looking weird on the dark background

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roboticanary said:

Hello

recently in general site suggestions a very good point was raised about dark theme being poor quality.

I have put in a second dark theme currently called dark green testbed, this way we can play about with things without breaking the current theme for those who use it.

I would be very happy if people here took a look and gave feedback on what needs to be changed to make it better.

current changes:

• header text is changed to grey rather than dark blue so it is clearer
  • same with dark text in section headings, blue/black text replaced with grey
  • background darkened in both header and forum sections (makes the new grey text show up)
  • pure white text replaced with light grey where found
  • comment count background darkened

things i know need fixing but not sure how yet:

• searchbar being a big white blob
  • text editing options looking weird on the dark background

When there are new/unread notifications, you know how the title is bold in white, so it looks different from the older/read notifications? It's kind of hard to differentiate between them in this new dark mode. 

It otherwise looks great! Great work, Roboticanary! I love it, and it's a serious improvement over the other drakmode, no offense to the people who created it (that includes you, right?)! I like how a darh shade of green was used in the background! 

How does this dark mode compare to the one on AVEN, by the way? Not to drag AVEN into this forum, and always make comparisons, but I'm a little curious about this.

Sorry, I promised to improve the header! I'll do it this weekend.

Otherwise I 💚 the new dark mode. It's such an improvement. Great work!

23 hours ago, roboticanary said:

text editing options looking weird on the dark background

That's the biggest issue. Funny, the eye icon looks ok for whatever reason...

Is it in principle possible to use custom CSS classes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

Sorry, I promised to improve the header! I'll do it this weekend.

Otherwise I 💚 the new dark mode. It's such an improvement. Great work!

thank you, and no worries about the header, it gets done when it gets done.

9 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

When there are new/unread notifications, you know how the title is bold in white, so it looks different from the older/read notifications? It's kind of hard to differentiate between them in this new dark mode. 

hmm, this is interesting. in both the difference is the same (a set link colour but unread is made bold) but it does seem easier to notice with the old light blue colour than with the new white. i will have a try with a few different colours and see what i can do with this. current attempt, lets see what green looks like.

2 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

Is it in principle possible to use custom CSS classes?

yes that is possible. i have tried to avoid doing anything more complicated than colour changing at the moment but it might require something like that

9 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

It otherwise looks great! Great work, Roboticanary! I love it, and it's a serious improvement over the other drakmode, no offense to the people who created it (that includes you, right?)! I like how a darh shade of green was used in the background! 

thank you.

there was a previous dark mode but all of the themes had problems in the transition between me and the previous forum owner so most of the fault of dark mode was with me doing a quick and dirty almost copy of the previous version which worked with the version of invision the forum uses. there were a lot of bits i missed (in particular i never copied over some of the custom css work done before and a few bits of header code ec which made old dark mode better. As an example this is why the searchbar was white (old dark mode did have the blacked out search bar). 

speaking of which, that works now. search bar on dark mode is no longer a big white blob.

• Like 2

I generally like this, but I think the green header and grey background might look better switched. Or have the green be a little less saturated. Also, the "reason for edit" box is barely readable.

Edited by Neon
slight change in idea
  • Like 1

Ah, titles do not show up properly, for some reason. Like above the author of the post’s name, there is not title of the post visible. 

And the follow/share button are smaller, and overlapping each other. 

Just now, Storm_leopardcat said:

Ah, titles do not show up properly, for some reason. Like above the author of the post’s name, there is not title of the post visible. 

And the follow/share button are smaller, and overlapping each other. 

CD9EADCE-37F3-4FAB-8EE1-8AD0F2B43132.jpeg

C3E1E895-0B88-4249-B7D1-7C1628B9CE77.jpeg

On 11/17/2022 at 3:42 AM, Neon said:

I generally like this, but I think the green header and grey background might look better switched. Or have the green be a little less saturated. Also, the "reason for edit" box is barely readable.

I think that’s a great idea! What would a less saturated green look like?

• Like 1

arocalypse-dark.png.e70daf5ee02f750b2fe14ec6f0dc9889.png

With transparency, obviously. Since I don't have the original font (used Inter instead) this wasn't going to be 1:1 anyway, so...

image.png.375f98d1cd4566905d0ddedcf7649831.png

Sorry if anyone already mentioned it, but the contrast around "Yesterday" is too low. Font should be brighter.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roboticanary said:

fantastic, just added that

Great! 🚀

13 hours ago, roboticanary said:

ok, sorry but can you tell me where on the site this is, i am having an idiot moment and am not sure where this picture was from

When you click on "Unread Content", it's on the overview to the left.

Do you want a light version of the header, too, so they would geometrically match 1:1?

PS: you signature looks odd in dark mode... it should be light on dark. 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

When you click on "Unread Content", it's on the overview to the left.

thank you, i'll have a look at that

Do you want a light version of the header, too, so they would geometrically match 1:1?

sure, if you are ok with making it i will happily add it to the site

PS: you signature looks odd in dark mode... it should be light on dark. 😉

yeah, im still not certain what is happening there. 

• Like 1