About the sidebar in r/aromanticasexual (the subreddit on Reddit), needs improvement

So I was checking out the sidebar in that subreddit, and noticed it needs some improvement. 

First off, Arocalypse should definitely be added to the Resources section, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/aromanticasexual/wiki/resources/

AVEN and AUREA are already listed there, but this website isn't. It would beneficial if this was added there as well, if AVEN, which is a forum is already there, why not this? Plus, AUREA doesn't have a place for discussion like AVEN does, though AUREA does have resources like AVEN does. 

Second of all, I think Sensual Attraction needs to be added to the Other Attractions section here: https://www.reddit.com/r/aromanticasexual/wiki/attraction-types/.

I also do not think the definition Queerplatonic Relationships is clear or complete, or entirely correct, nor is the one for Oriented AroAces either.

This is how they are both defined, respectively: 

Queerplatonic Relationships

A committed relationship that is not romantic in nature. Aromantic-Asexuals with strong platonic attractions may choose to be in a queerplatonic relationship.

Oriented Aroaces

Some Aroaces who feel strong platonic attractions may use the label oriented aroace. An oriented may identify with a platonic orientation label in addition to their aroace label. (Ex. Biplatonic Aroace - An aroace who feels platonic attraction to people of multiple genders)

There may be other things I missed, especially in the Grey Area section, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/aromanticasexual/wiki/wiki/

Isn't a queerplatonic relationship possible for anyone, regardless of them being AroAce, or experiencing platonic attraction? Also, anyone can have a QPR due to any sort of attraction (and also none as well). Not necessarily strong platonic attraction. 

Also, isn't the Oriented AroAce for those AroAces for those who feel any non-romantic and non-sexual attraction strongly enough that they feel it needs to be recognized alongside their AroAce-ness? 

Do tell me if I got anything wrong, or if the links are not working correctly!

I have also realized after typing post mid-way that I'm posting this where most people aren't even AroAce; they are aromantic. Maybe I should have posted in that subreddit instead.

Ah, Angled AroAce could also use a mention and a definition in that section as well, alongside Oriented AroAce!

• Like 3

I have no knowledge about the person who runs that subreddit. Good to bring this up but it might be worth messaging someone who has power in that forum. put it out there to them and see what they think. Certainly worth posting in that subreddit as well to see if people agree.

I would also say there are plent of aro ace people here, probably more than non ace at the moment so you will probably get some aro ace feedback for sticking it here. And anyway, allowing other aros to have a say, especially on definitions for things like qpr, is probably a good thing.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2022 at 11:35 PM, roboticanary said:

I have no knowledge about the person who runs that subreddit. Good to bring this up but it might be worth messaging someone who has power in that forum. put it out there to them and see what they think. Certainly worth posting in that subreddit as well to see if people agree.

I would also say there are plent of aro ace people here, probably more than non ace at the moment so you will probably get some aro ace feedback for sticking it here. And anyway, allowing other aros to have a say, especially on definitions for things like qpr, is probably a good thing.

Yes, you have made some excellent points. It is a good thing there are AroAce people here, but strange that they outnumber aromantic ones. Perhaps people have not discovered the concept of a lack of romantic attraction, or maybe they do, but do not know about this forum. 

I do not know who the moderators of that subreddit are, unfortunately. 

And yes, aromantic people should have a say in those definitions as it involves them, and concerns them. As should asexual people. 

Edited by Storm_leopardcat
Changing X Ellen to excellent, no idea how I made that mistake and didn’t see it earlier

On 10/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, Storm_leopardcat said:

It is a good thing there are AroAce people here, but strange that they outnumber aromantic ones.

Well aroaces are aromantic too. ;)  Now it is true that we should not outnumber alloaros and just aros people as in the aromantic community, I think the number of aroaces and alloaros are equivalent (I don't remember where I see this statistics though), but sadly this is the case. Hope it changes in the future to be more representative. 

Anyway I think this is an issue you should bright up directly to the subreddit, as they are the ones who can do something about it. I find these definitions strange as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 4:07 PM, nonmerci said:

Well aroaces are aromantic too. ;)  Now it is true that we should not outnumber alloaros and just aros people as in the aromantic community, I think the number of aroaces and alloaros are equivalent (I don't remember where I see this statistics though), but sadly this is the case. Hope it changes in the future to be more representative. 

Anyway I think this is an issue you should bright up directly to the subreddit, as they are the ones who can do something about it. I find these definitions strange as well.

I posted and wrote about it, but didn’t get any response. Barely any upvotes and no mods contacted me. Only one comment, too.

i asked earlier who the mods of the subreddit, that got even less of a response. I wanted to message the mods directly instead, before. I didn’t see any mods listed in the sidebar, so I had to make a post. 

Does anyone know who the mods of that subreddit are, so I can contact them? 

How do you make a post more visible and seen by people? 

Here’s the post, by the way: 

(wait, how do you copy the link? There’s a copy option coming when I want to share the post, but when I paste it, there’s nothing appearing).

1 minute ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

I posted and wrote about it, but didn’t get any response. Barely any upvotes and no mods contacted me. Only one comment, too.

i asked earlier who the mods of the subreddit, that got even less of a response. I wanted to message the mods directly instead, before. I didn’t see any mods listed in the sidebar, so I had to make a post. 

Does anyone know who the mods of that subreddit are, so I can contact them? 

How do you make a post more visible and seen by people? 

Here’s the post, by the way: 

(wait, how do you copy the link? There’s a copy option coming when I want to share the post, but when I paste it, there’s nothing appearing).

Here’s the link, I had to copy it and paste the link in Safari, and copy that to paste it here: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/aromanticasexual/comments/ya06dw/a_message_to_the_moderators_of_this_subreddit/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

7 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

thats weird. i can see a list of mods in the sidebar. just checked and under related subreddits there is a space listing the mods, with a button to message them. it hides if you dont have a reddit account but i assume that shouldnt be a problem.

i suspect what happened is you had an individual post open, which replaces the normal sidebar with a similar to this post list. close that and you should be able to see it.

14 hours ago, roboticanary said:

thats weird. i can see a list of mods in the sidebar. just checked and under related subreddits there is a space listing the mods, with a button to message them. it hides if you dont have a reddit account but i assume that shouldnt be a problem.

i suspect what happened is you had an individual post open, which replaces the normal sidebar with a similar to this post list. close that and you should be able to see it.

Yes, well, the previous times I checked the moderator list or visited the subreddit, I was not logged in, so when I read your message and logged in on Reddit, and checked the subreddit, the moderators' names were written there.

Sorry for the mix up!

I have also messaged both the moderators about the post, so do not worry!