Roe v Wade (no, this does not belong in the Hot Box)

alto

Last night, I lost a really important friend/adopted nephew because we were dumb enough to try discussing Roe v Wade with each other.  We are on opposing sides.  It wasn't as ugly as it could have been, but I lost a friend, and it is really sad.

Any of you lost good friends by talking about Roe v Wade, or any other political issue?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Those recent developments (SCOTUS leak) again prove to me that the U. S. is politically and culturally very far removed from Europe.

It feels weird to post aro positivity stuff here when something like this is going on. But in the end to me the U. S. is really just like another far away country. I could as well get  all worked up about what’s going on in India, China or Saudi Arabia.

• Like 1

Not friends, but have lost mutuals and been bullied a bit. It's sad, because I rarely separate myself from others over politics unless they're seriously extremists. (Like if they are actually supportive of stuff like white supremacy or if I see them bullying people who aren't hurting anyone.) 

• Like 1

There is also another thing, which I find mysterious as an outsider: Roe vs. Wade is a decision from 1973.

In this whole time, was there really no opportunity to settle the issue by a federal law?

E. g. in 2009 :

In the November 2008 elections, the Democratic Party increased its majorities in both chambers (including - when factoring in the two Democratic caucusing independents - a brief filibuster-proof 60-40 supermajority in the Senate), and with Barack Obama being sworn in as President on January 20, 2009, this gave a Democrats an overall federal government trifecta for the first time since the 103rd Congress in 1993.

This is is not meant as some sort of gotcha, but as a genuine question. What happened back then?

• Like 2

I recently discovered my squish of the last three months is on the opposite side of the issue from me, but that doesn't make me feel negatively toward her since I understand the perspective of people who it's actually about babies to which her liberal views on most other things make clear to me it is for her. We talked a little about that yesterday, just about respecting each other's views, and today we had what was quite possibly our best interaction ever, letting me know without any doubt she is really my friend, despite both knowing we have different views on this issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeltaV said:

There is also another thing, which I find mysterious as an outsider: Roe vs. Wade is a decision from 1973.

In this whole time, was there really no opportunity to settle the issue by a federal law?

E. g. in 2009 :

In the November 2008 elections, the Democratic Party increased its majorities in both chambers (including - when factoring in the two Democratic caucusing independents - a brief filibuster-proof 60-40 supermajority in the Senate), and with Barack Obama being sworn in as President on January 20, 2009, this gave a Democrats an over all federal government trifecta for the first time since the 103rd Congress in 1993.

This is is not meant as some sort of gotcha, but as a genuine question. What happened back then?

Many assume that Christians only back Republicans, but both major parties are in Big Churches' pockets. https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=W05

• Like 3

22 hours ago, DaviM703 said:

I recently discovered my squish of the last three months is on the opposite side of the issue from me, but that doesn't make me feel negatively toward her since I understand the perspective of people who it's actually about babies to which her liberal views on most other things make clear to me it is for her. We talked a little about that yesterday, just about respecting each other's views, and today we had what was quite possibly our best interaction ever, letting me know without any doubt she is really my friend, despite both knowing we have different views on this issue.

My squish has the opposite view to me, too. It bugs me a little, but I know she is a lovely and wonderful person who only wants the best for others.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:57 PM, DaviM703 said:

The problem with political views is that they are not comparable to the usual type of difference in opinion (like if some music genre is good or even if some religious / spiritual belief is true or false). But that they inherently entail a desire to coerce others to abide to these views by the force of law.

Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 2