Where do we even find aromantic people for QPRs or even close friends?

Hey there everyone. I'm a veteran of this site, and I'm just not sure how in the world people find their QPRs or close aromantic friends. I am kinda meh with  making friends online, and in person too. Admittedly I'm super boring and have pretty obscure interests as well, possibly due to my mental and physical health issues, but people do like hanging out with me when we are in person. It's just that communicating via text doesn't happen much. So I kinda do have friends but I'm not super close to anyone.

Idk if there's any websites that specialize in aromantic QPRs or even aromantic friends (does this website count?) I'm wondering if the Google Meet socials are good way to make friends though admittedly I'm more of a chat person until I get to know someone well.

• Like 2

its not easy, lets be honest

there are a limited amount of aro people around.

if you are in a big city there may be local groups around. often combined ace and aro groups but if you are ok with that they might go places so you can meet people.

I occasionally hear about people trying to make a sort of 'aro dating app' thing to help people look for qprs or close friendships but I have no idea if any of them are any good.

the socials and similar online meetups are a good way to talk to people if keeping in touch by text is not your thing. however meeting people once a month is not on its own going to get you a close friendship, you would need to try to make contact with the people in the socials outside of that.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 1:47 PM, roboticanary said:

its not easy, lets be honest

there are a limited amount of aro people around.

if you are in a big city there may be local groups around. often combined ace and aro groups but if you are ok with that they might go places so you can meet people.

I occasionally hear about people trying to make a sort of 'aro dating app' thing to help people look for qprs or close friendships but I have no idea if any of them are any good.

the socials and similar online meetups are a good way to talk to people if keeping in touch by text is not your thing. however meeting people once a month is not on its own going to get you a close friendship, you would need to try to make contact with the people in the socials outside of that.

Well, I gave this topic some thought today. And I think that ace groups haven't worked for me much due to prejudice towards the other identities I've got, there aren't any aro groups in the nearest major area, BUT, I've had some luck at gay meetups despite me being intersex, pansexual, and fluid (and androgynous) in gender presentation, because even though some of my friends are in relationships, they are open to the whole QPR thing, or at the very least SUPER close friends. I think in that particular city, most gay meetups are more of the let's go clubbing thing, so I didn't think of it right away, but then I remembered the non-clubbing groups and that I good experience with those, but those are less of a thing, and not always apparent/visible. And these groups are predominantly for gay people but there's also other people in the LGBTQ+ alphabet who go there.

After giving this thought some post and reading some (lucky) articles,  I got reminded of those other groups and then thought I could give it a  shot when i go to that city again, which won't be any time soon because of how far my place is from there and rather inefficient public transportation.

Yeah, keeping up with folks in socials, but also calls helped keep me in the loop. Calls are especially memorable since everyone seems to be texting these days, well, for the most part.

Edited by MulticulturalFarmer
Added some words
  • Like 3