Is it possible that I just haven’t met somebody I have a crush on?

Guest Guest

Question

Guest Guest

I’m a very social person, and so I meet a lot of people, and I love my friends. But I’ve never even understood crushes, nor had one. I often wonder if this is because I haven’t met someone, or if I can’t distinguish romantic attraction, or something else. Is there any way to know? 

4 answers to this question

I think it's hard to know for sure. But you don't have to be bound to a label forever. If you want to call yourself aromantic and feel the label fits you, use it. If your experience changes in the future, you can just change the label that easily. I've gone through a few label changes myself: from demirose (demisexual + demiromantic) to aroace was my most recent change.

It's hard to know for sure, as there's a lot of diversity in the way each of us think & experience things. Can you imagine in your head what the sort of person you'd be attracted to would be like & describe how you would feel if you met them? That might help you to figure out if those feelings are there or not. Sorry I can't be of more help.

From what you've described, it looks like you're somewhere on the aromantic spectrum!

It is totally possible that one day you'll have a crush. It's also totally possible you never will. There's no way to expect how you're going be years from now. People change, and our orientations can too. It's 100% okay to label yourself as aromantic now and identify differently later.

If you're not sure what label to go by or you're not comfortable calling yourself aromantic, you can go by an umbrella term such as aro-spec or greyromantic (A.K.A. grey-aromantic). (Also, I personally find that talking about aromanticism and my experiences was a great way to feel more comfortable as an aromantic!)

You can also look into the term quoiromantic (A.K.A. WTFromantic). These are people who can't differentiate romantic attraction and other types of attraction.

There isn't a sure way to know persay, but depending on how old you are...if you are older you sound pretty aro to me.