Aro Quotes + Phrases!

Pyr

Anyone have aro quotes or phrases you like? Here are some of mine:

• "There is loveless" - idk where I got this from, but I just like the phrase ahaha
  • "Celebrate every love" - found this on a month pride poster! I think it was directed towards gay lovers but I still like how it validates non-romantic love
  • "'Your father means that you used a very generalized word, so meaningless that it's become almost obsolete,' his mother explained carefully." - this is a quote from Lois Lowry's The Giver. The quote is not meant to be aro, (it's meant to be about how depressing and loveless their society is,) but I like it anyways! 

What are yours?

• Like 4

"Saying the words “the world needs more love” — using those words as a political device to imply that love all round is going to produce equality — is ignorant and unrealistic." - Moses Sumney

Its from this interview - https://www.thefader.com/2017/09/04/moses-sumney-aromanticism-interview

There is a bit more after that which is interesting as well, about how people not having enough love is not the problem, and talking about power and the problems of telling oppressed people that they need to love

• Like 3

13 hours ago, roboticanary said:

"Saying the words “the world needs more love” — using those words as a political device to imply that love all round is going to produce equality — is ignorant and unrealistic." - Moses Sumney

Its from this interview - https://www.thefader.com/2017/09/04/moses-sumney-aromanticism-interview

There is a bit more after that which is interesting as well, about how people not having enough love is not the problem, and talking about power and the problems of telling oppressed people that they need to love

Oh yeah ! That's why I despise the French translation of "God help the outcasts" from the Hunchback of Notre-Dame. They translated that in "Les bannis ont droit d'amour" ("The outcasts have the right to be loved"), which is, like... Not the point ? They needed help, lot love !

Discovering I'm aro really helped me realize how society focuses too much on the notion of love, romantic or platonic, as something that will fix all the problems. And love fan help, but it doesn't fix everything. I rather have someone who doesn't love me but care and help me, than someone sho poved me but doesè't care and doesn't help.

• Like 3

One of the books I am currently reading is Anthony Storr's book 'solitude', which is a book challenging the idea, common in psychology and certainly common in  culture when he wrote it, that intimate relationships are the chief source of happiness. It talks a lot about the large number of geniuses and inspirational people who lived a life of solitude and the importance of solitude for our wellbeing.

So while it is not an aro book in that sense it is an absolute goldmine of quotes which make me happy as an aro. So here's a few I have grabbed from the opening few chapters.

'The current emphasis upon intimate interpersonal relationships as the touchstone of health and happiness is a comparatively recent phenomenon.'

'In the present climate, there is a danger that love is being idealized as the only path to salvation'

'Mourning is one example of a long drawn out mental process leading to an eventual change of attitude. Instead of regarding life as necessarily bound up with, or even constituted by, the existence of an intimate relationship with the deceased person, the mourner comes to see matters differently. The mourner may or may not form new, intimate ties; but whether he or she does so or not, the mourner usually comes to realize that the significance of life is not entirely constituted by personal relationships; that the life of a person without intimate relationships also has meaning.'

There is also a large part at the start of the book talking about the historian Edward Gibbon, who when he was young renounced a lover at the behest of his father and stayed single after that.

'By most of the standards adopted in the past, Gibbon would be rated as exceptionally well-balanced. It is only since Freud advanced the notion that heterosexual fulfilment is the sine qua non of mental health that anyone would question Gibbon's status as a more than commonly happy and successful human being.'

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...