Renting with a friend

Really interesting blog post I found. The author tried to rent a house with a friend. https://barefoot-backpacker.com/observations-on-the-uk-housing-market/

There is a section called 'You’re not married? Oh, that’s awkward' which gives a pretty damning description of trying to rent a place as two friends. In short, they were going to pay the rent, she (the friend) could not prove she could pay the rent she wasn't going to pay and needed a guarantor. They could not be the guarantor because would be living in the place.

They say:

It feels like the whole system is set up against flatsharers, passively discriminating against single people, asexuals, aromantics, and people for whom friendship is the primary form of family. Rather, everything is geared towards families.

• Like 3

Man, the number of times my current housemate and I ran into "no sharers" clauses when we were looking for rental properties...

We're both adults in our thirties with permanent, full-time jobs; each of us could have afforded the entire rent for most of the places we looked at on our own, let alone together. A couple in our position would have been a shoo-in for anything we were looking at. But as "sharers" we couldn't even apply for half the properties we found. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eatingcroutons said:

A couple in our position would have been a shoo-in for anything we were looking at. But as "sharers" we couldn't even apply for half the properties we found. 

Yeah, this is such a pain. And it seems to be based on a belief that flatsharers are not stable in a way that couples are which I'm not sure if it is even true.

• Like 1