Curious about dating

Guest Curious Guest

Question

Guest Curious Guest

I'm wondering if anyone else only became curious about dating after realizing you are aro (I’m also ace) and if so what your experiences were like. 

Growing up I didn't understand that I was different and was waiting to feel that romantic attraction everyone talks about. I have always kinda thought of myself as romance favourable, but I'm not sure where that line is and if that is just when I'm not involved. Now that I realize I'm aro and operate/experience things differently I'm kinda interested in exploring that. 

2 answers to this question

For me, it was in reverse. I dated and then after the breakup I found that I was aro. Either way, if you are curious as to what dating is, do it. However be honest with your partner and put ground rules. You don't have to out yourself, saying that you want to experience what dating feels like but do not expect romance or a lot of romance can do. Experiment and see how you feel, how you react toward situations. But always communicate. 

Since you know your aro, you may sometimes feel guilt over not being able to reciprocate feelings back, that is normal. Do not let it consume you, you are exploring what dating feels like but on your own terms, not how society tells you to do it. Do it at your pace and if it doesn't work out, it didnt and now you have the experience. If you think is working out, congratz on finding your ideal relationship ^^