Non-SAM Aros

I came across the term "non-SAM aro" the other day and wanted to hear what others think about the term. Do you use it for yourself? If so, are there specific reasons you like the term? I don't fully understand the significance of it and I'd like to learn more!

For context, here is the non-SAM aro entry in the LGBT+ Wiki: https://lgbta.wikia.org/wiki/Non-SAM_Aro 

6 hours ago, Rainy Robin said:

I don't fully understand the significance of it and I'd like to learn more!

To keep it simple it is used by aros who don't differentiate their romantic and sexual attraction, or aros who think sexual attraction is not relevant to their identity.

I personnaly don't use the term but I see why some people do. I never really cared that much about my ace side. I don't feel the need to talk about it, to search about it, I don't have the feeling that it affects me that much. On the other hand, aromanticism affects my life in a lot of ways.

So it makes sense to me that some people just don't label their sexuality, if they feel it is not that important for them.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nonmerci said:

I never really cared that much about my ace side. I don't feel the need to talk about it, to search about it, I don't have the feeling that it affects me that much. On the other hand, aromanticism affects my life in a lot of ways.

This makes a ton of sense, thanks for sharing! 

On 5/11/2021 at 2:34 AM, nonmerci said:

To keep it simple it is used by aros who don't differentiate their romantic and sexual attraction, or aros who think sexual attraction is not relevant to their identity.

I personnaly don't use the term but I see why some people do. I never really cared that much about my ace side. I don't feel the need to talk about it, to search about it, I don't have the feeling that it affects me that much. On the other hand, aromanticism affects my life in a lot of ways.

So it makes sense to me that some people just don't label their sexuality, if they feel it is not that important for them.

I feel pretty much the same way- not having a partner tends to be more immediately visible to to others than not having sex.  That said, I still see being ace as an integral part of my identity.  Maybe it's not the cornerstone of who I am, but it's still there.