Help? I’m having help questioning if i’m Aro.

Cer

I dont know if anyone will answer, but yesterday one of my close friends asked me to be in a relationship. The first time i thought about it thoroughly, I was kind of iffy on it. I decided to sleep on it because I was super tired. When I woke up today, I thought about it and I felt kind of repulsed at the thought of being in a romantic relationship with them. Not specifically because the person who asked me, but the overall thought of just being in a relationship makes me feel uncomfortable and a bit repulsed. I also noticed when someone talks to me about their romantic or sexual relationships, I can’t relate to them with the feelings and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Someone told me I might be Aro, but now i’m seriously considering and asking myself and I just need help finding my way around, I’m totally lost.

Edited by Cer

• Cer changed the title to Help? I’m having help questioning if i’m Aro.

Some questions you can ask yourself that might help you figure something out: have you ever felt like you wanted to be in a romantic relationship with someone before this situation? What aspects of romantic relationships make you uncomfortable and why, and what aspects do you think you'd enjoy? Would you be satisfied fulfilling those needs with close friends or with a romantic partner? In any case, only you can decide what identity best fits you, your feelings are what's important. Also, I hope can preserve friendship even if you have to turn them down. Good luck ^^

• Like 1

You are the only person who can know how you feel, but from what you're describing it seems like you may be a romance repulsed aro. 

Some things that helped me when I was questioning was reading lots and lots of threads. One place to start would be the 'you might be aro if' thread (YMBAI), and even explore AVEN, since there's lots of content there. If you feel you relate to those... you might be aro!

The other thing is, it's really nice to have a label, but it can also be good to let yourself live and make decisions, and see how those decisions and actions fit into a label. Whatever you do, NEVER feel like you should feel a certain way or do a certain thing because of the label you chose. 

Try to look into yourself to find what you want, and don't rush into things you have reservations about! Good luck figuring yourself out :)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ScarfOfSexualPreference said:

The other thing is, it's really nice to have a label, but it can also be good to let yourself live and make decisions, and see how those decisions and actions fit into a label. Whatever you do, NEVER feel like you should feel a certain way or do a certain thing because of the label you chose. 

This is so well put. (And very good advice) I have found myself trying to give this kind of advice many times but always struggle with how to phrase it.

• Like 1