Joking about romance

One of the things I have realised is that I am very comfortable playing a sort of 'joke' romance around other people. Around good friends of mine I can refer to people in romantic terms if it can be played off as just messing around. or if we disagree I will say that we should be an old married couple, that sort of thing. As long as I am confident it will not be taken seriously.

I have been thinking over this behaviour for a while and I think some of it may be linked to wanting to belong while I wasn't comfortable being in a romantic relationship as a serious thing. I could feel for a while that I did fit in.

Does anyone else/did anyone else here do this sort of thing?

• Like 1

I definitely do the same thing. It's fucking fun to joke around like this. My friends often say shit like we're all in a polycule, we're all married, etc. Marriage and relationships are shorthand for "this is my most important person" so I find it lovely when people say, with humour, that they can see me/us in the position.

If it's even slightly real tho, then it's too much haha. I couldn’t explain the difference other than the expectation maybe? There's no expectation in a joke, just good fun. 

I don’t know if I do it bc I want to belong? I don’t think so. (Lmao as I'm writing this my friend just said we're dating). We say a lot of shit. Either way, it's a nice way to express yourself!

• Like 1