chromosomes

Stacky

So from what I'm seeing is that chromosomes impact our gender in someway. 
Would someone with a chromosomal disorder(i.e. trisomy disorders) have a higher chance of having dysphoria about their birth gender?

• 1 month later...

One of the most common chromosomal disorders is Klinefelter syndrome (XXY sex chromosomes). There's also variants like XYY, X, XXX, XXXY, XXYY, or even XXXXY.  Some of these are surprisingly common, with about 1 in 500 people overall having a sex chromosomal disorder. 

Any combination which contains at least one Y chromosome usually presents as male.  Any combination which contains only X chromosomes presents as female.  But combinations which contain multiple X chromosomes in conjunction with a Y chromosome can give rise to some intersex features.  Among these individuals there is definitely a higher-than-average rate of gender dysphoria.  Look up Caroline Cossey as an example of a trans woman with XXXY chromosomes.

14 minutes ago, I.B. said:

sex chromosomal disorder

It's not 'chromosomal disorder'. Let's call it 'chromosomal diversity', because calling it 'disorder' is very harmful for intersex people. Being intersex is not a problem, the problem are unnecessary medical interventions when a person was born with atypical genitalia.

Edited by Rony
I forgot one word
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rony said:

It's not 'chromosomal disorder'. Let's call it 'chromosomal diversity', because calling it 'disorder' is very harmful for intersex people. Being intersex is not a problem, the problem are unnecessary medical interventions when a person was born with atypical genitalia.

I don't disagree with anything you say, I was mainly just following along with the terminology of the original post.  In this particular case I would propose "chromosomal aneuploidy" (or maybe just "chromosomal duplication") as something that's both more precise and more judgement-neutral compared to "disorder".

Edit: I suppose I should point out that having XXY/etc. sex chromosomes is definitely not the same as having intersex genitalia.  As far as I'm aware the overlap between the two groups is actually very small.  In my original post I meant "intersex features" in a more broad sense.

Edited by I.B.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, I.B. said:

One of the most common chromosomal disorders is Klinefelter syndrome (XXY sex chromosomes). There's also variants like XYY, X, XXX, XXXY, XXYY, or even XXXXY.  Some of these are surprisingly common, with about 1 in 500 people overall having a sex chromosomal disorder.

Many chromosomal duplications are lethal to the cell in question.
The Y chromosome is small so it being duplicated or omitted makes little difference.
Whilst X is a large chromosome only one is typically fully expressed in a cell.  Where there are multiple X chromosomes present all except one are Barr bodies, with the majority of the genes inactivated.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:23 PM, Mark said:

The Y chromosome is small so it being duplicated or omitted makes little difference.

Duplication of Y doesn't seem to really matter. But only having an X, missing a further sex chromosome (an X or an Y) causes Turner Syndrome. For XX one X gets randomly inactivated for each cell. So it should not matter having only one X. But then the inactivation is not complete, and those genes are supplied by either another X or a Y.