figuring myself out

Guest olivia

Question

i don’t want a relationship because it seems like too much work, and i just don’t see the point of it, but i would like a sexual relationship. am i aromatic?

3 answers to this question

Hi there!

I am asexual as well as aromantic, so I can't speak to wanting a sexual relationship(though many aros do as they aren't asexual).

For me, romance does seem like an awful lot of work, but that's not why I see myself as aromantic. In fact, some aromantic people do desire romantic relationships, just as some alloromantics prefer to be single. I consider myself aromantic because I have never experienced romantic attraction. I've never had what can be accurately described as a crush, and I don't fully understand romantic love. However aromanticism is a spectrum and people who identify as grayaromantic for example rarely experience romantic attraction, though it does occasionally occur.

At the end of the day, only you really know. If aromantic is a label that works for you, that's great. If not, or you don't want to use a label, that is fine as well.

Hope this helped at all.

21 hours ago, Guest olivia said:

i don’t want a relationship because it seems like too much work, and i just don’t see the point of it, but i would like a sexual relationship. am i aromatic?

That sounds like alloaro/allosexual aromantic (which means you experience sexual attraction, but not romantic attraction), which is absolutely valid! :D

I can’t tell you what you are though, you know you best! Hope this helps :D 

So to be clear, you do feel romantic attraction, but you choose not to pursue it because you don't want to for various reasons.

I'd say you're not aromantic, since you still feel that attraction and desire. Choosing not to pursue it doesn't negate the fact that you feel the attraction in the first place.