Greetings!

Cheerio

Hi everyone! My name is Kaitlyn and I’m currently in the process of accepting my identity as aro/ace! I actually just made an account on AVEN as well so I'll just copy and paste my intro?

I stumbled across the term aro/ace online when I was 14 (I’m nearly 20 now) and it was like everything clicked into place. Other people were describing experiences that I could actually relate with! However, my joyous revelation soon turned to disappointment because it seemed as if everyone in the “real world” was dating someone or at least crushing on someone. I wasn’t interested in romance, yet, I was terrified at the thought of being lonely for the rest of my life. So in senior year of high school, I began to put myself out there. 

Throughout senior year, freshman year of college, and then part of sophomore year, I would occasionally have platonic/emotional crushes on people (and confuse this for romance) and I never failed to become disinterested, repulsed and even alarmed when they wanted to preform romantic gestures with me in turn. I was so confused because this kept happening over and over and over again. For a while, I considered that I might possibly be a lesbian or bisexual but I soon realized that I didn't want to date girls either, at least in the traditional sense. I would try to find answers about my “situation” by searching online and ironically (and disappointingly for me at the time), the only results that would appear were from aromantic and asexuality themed forums. I was incredibly bummed about this until recently. 

I attended pride and briefly met a girl who also identified as aro/ace. She’s the first person who I had ever met who identified as such. Realizing that I wasn’t alone and that it was possible for people to live happily as aromantic and asexual was so incredibly liberating. I actually cried lmao! This was a few weeks ago and I am still coming to terms with it. I still struggle with self doubt every now and then but overall, I feel as if a huge pressure has been lifted off of my chest. It's super cool and validating to have online forums like Arocalypse and I'm excited to join this community. 

Sorry this is so long lol

Welcome !

12 hours ago, Cheerio said:

I attended pride and briefly met a girl who also identified as aro/ace. She’s the first person who I had ever met who identified as such. Realizing that I wasn’t alone and that it was possible for people to live happily as aromantic and asexual was so incredibly liberating

Ooh nice !

• 2 weeks later...