Quotes that speak to you, personally?

omitef

I recently came across a quote from Poem after Frieda Kahlo’s Painting The Broken Column, by Eduardo C. Corral:

Once a man offered me his heart and I said no. Not because I didn’t love him. Not because he was a beast or white—I couldn’t love him. Do you understand? In bed while we slept, our bodies inches apart, the dark between our flesh a wick. It was burning down. And he couldn’t feel it.

The quote spoke to me a lot, because I felt like that around someone who used to my crush. I feel so overwhelmed by how quickly the boundaries were burning down between us, but they were completely unfazed and didn't understand the intensity of fire, couldn't understand why I had to get away. I needed there to be more space between us. But we're not even friends any more, today.

What are some quotes that really resonate with you?

My HS senior art teacher introduced me to this one:

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." (George Bernard Shaw (?) )

She said it reminded her of me; how dedicated I was to art and furthering my art career, and how I had come to terms with my gender identity and sense of self. She was there on the sidelines as I was trying to force myself into the preconceived idea of being genderless--the idea that genderless = wearing pants and shirts and binding your chest. I guess it was her way of saying "Hey, you don't have to fit a label 100%. Just be you." which was great, because it helped a lot. I now embrace wearing dresses and typically "girly" things because that's what I like to wear. I like looking cute and pretty. Those things don't invalidate my agender identity in the slightest.

It wasn't until much, much later that I discovered nihilism from this video by Savannah Brown [warning for mentions of death. Nothing too serious, though.]. The quote took on a bit more meaning for me. It's a bit hard to explain, and Savannah's video explains it better than I can, but I can say it's in the epistemological / optimistic sides of nihilism how I see it. And that kinda feeds into the 'not having to fit a label' thing I mentioned before as well.

So basically it's just one big positive affirmation for me, in a weird "nothing actually matters" sort of way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Why wasn’t friendship as good as a relationship? Why wasn’t it even better? It was two people who remained together, day after day, bound not by sex or physical attraction or money or children or property, but only by the shared agreement to keep going, the mutual dedication to a union that could never be codified."
- Hanya Yanagihara, A Little Life

Archived