Hello! Aro lesbian

SnailSatan

I've known that I am aromantic for a couple of years now, but I just found this forum. I'm 18, and my hobby is keeping aquariums.

I know that it's common for aros to confuse platonic attraction for romantic attraction, but I initially thought that my sexual attraction was romanctic attraction. It made me feel like a creep, but I felt obligated to try dating due to general amatonormative notions given off by everyone in my life. I went on one date and felt incredibly gross and uncomfortable.

Thank goodness we have google and words to accurately describe romantic orientation now, because I'm sure I would have kept trying to enjoy (and fail at) romantic relationships.

I've only ever told one person about my romantic orientation (being a lesbian in the south US usually gets people off my back about things, but I'm sick of using this to avoid telling people about my aromanticism due to a lack of understanding). My parents will not know until I am financially independent (they aren't supportive of a lot of my life choices/ways including religion and sexuality, so I walk on eggshells around them). 

I'm glad to not feel so alone in my lack of romantic attraction online.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SnailSatan said:

Thank goodness we have google and words to accurately describe romantic orientation now,

I thought the words were the best part of it all too! because finding them led to heaps of interesting concepts and the ability to find communities.

I hope you find things of interest in the forums and welcome! :aroicecream:

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 11:42 PM, SnailSatan said:

I know that it's common for aros to confuse platonic attraction for romantic attraction, but I initially thought that my sexual attraction was romanctic attraction.

same, 'cause they supposedly go together, right, so i was like 'ok i guess that's what's going on.'  though it helped (if confusion is helpful) if i also liked them platonically, like i thought finding someone hot was the difference between wanting to be their friend and wanting to date them.  not that i consciously thought about it much before discovering aromanticism.

• Like 1