Coming Out To My Religious Friend

anono

I'm A Guy. I think I might be gay. I don't think I can come out to anyone else before my best friend, but his religion (not stated) tells him that being gay is not normal, and I don't wan't loose him and then not being able to come out and then repressing it forever. What should I do?

First off, I'm so sorry; it's really difficult to come out to people you care about, especially if you have reasons to fear they'll react badly. *hugs*

Second off, the most important thing is your safety. If you come out to him and it goes badly, do you think he'll put you in danger? It's okay to not come out right now if it's not safe; it doesn't mean you'll never be able to come out or that you'll have to hide it forever. It's not fun, but it's okay to wait until you feel safer.

Now, if you do feel comfortable and safe coming out to him, if he's really your best friend he'll stand by you. If he doesn't, it's better to find out now than spend more time with someone who won't accept you as you are.

sorry for your situation! I am considering coming out to my friends but I somewhat fear their reactions and possible derision, so I know the pain this brings. 

I agree with everything @Confidential_Con says, but I would also add that you don't have to label yourself straight away. You could just tell your friend that you are questioning, you don't feel/identify as heteronormative/allo-whatever. Seeing how your friend reacts to that should give you a good indicator to how they feel, but seeing as their religion is possibly strict about it, their first reaction might just be a conditioned reaction and it will take them a bit of time to sort out how they actually feel. 

Be safe and I hope it goes well for you!

Archived