Romantic zone

Holmbo

@Holmbo and @time-is-ticking could the word 'buddy' be mistaken for anything else if you happened to start using the English word in conversation? that is of course assuming that whoever you are talking to has a standard contextual understanding of the word 'buddy' and will recognise it. 

The only other thing I can think of (seeing as my knowledge of the Swedish language is limited to what they say in the movie Frostbiten~) is giving the person a slightly unflattering nickname that they are not offended by. For example, Steamtrain, Balloon Man, Les Cats, Long Back. As for a general term to call friends is there some sort of activity/job descriptions that could fit to make the terms you have less romantic? 

On 2017-10-24 at 2:43 AM, Apathetic Echidna said:

@Holmbo and @time-is-ticking could the word 'buddy' be mistaken for anything else if you happened to start using the English word in conversation? that is of course assuming that whoever you are talking to has a standard contextual understanding of the word 'buddy' and will recognise it. 

The only other thing I can think of (seeing as my knowledge of the Swedish language is limited to what they say in the movie Frostbiten~) is giving the person a slightly unflattering nickname that they are not offended by. For example, Steamtrain, Balloon Man, Les Cats, Long Back. As for a general term to call friends is there some sort of activity/job descriptions that could fit to make the terms you have less romantic? 

I don't think buddy is common enough for us that one could use it in a regular Swedish conversation, but giving one an unflattering nickname might be a good idea, or maybe calling them by their last name as if you are team mates :D

• 1 year later...

From our perspective, getting "romantic zoned" is a term I find very helpful!
It's the reason why I can only laugh at people who say "You're just aromantic because you can't get a date, hurr durr".
Newsflash: I got much more romantic zoned than I would have liked to.
One distinctive time was when I had moved to a new city. I started to hang out with this one guy and it was great, I enjoyed his company.
Then one day he told me he'd developed a crush on me. I considered him as good acquaintance...my first inner reaction was something like this:
Dude, why?! Why would you??
I now learned to don't ask this question anymore. Doesn't lead anywhere since it's about feelings and they are what they are.
I rejected him and surprisingly our connection wasn't affected by it much, at least not on the outside. He still wanted to hang out and do stuff together.
Lost him nonetheless as I needed to move again and he didn't want to keep in touch.
Having a crush on me could definitely been a reason why. :(

Archived